Twenty Three

Boxing Day slipped by uneventfully. Blaise definitely regretted his actions as he nursed a rough headache the entire time. The group kept teasing him mercilessly. Lauren was worried as Daphne seemed withdrawn. Blaise seemed stand-offish too but she figured he was embarrassed for his actions.

It wasn't until the second week of January that the truth came out.

The day began as any usual day, breakfast as a group before heading off to classes. Draco and Lauren attached by the hip, Daphne and Paige whispering amongst themselves and the other boys planning on messing with Gryffindors.

As the group had settled into the common room after classes, they pulled out their homework materials as they sat down on the long wooden table near the side. Paige had to go talk to one of her friends in the older years, leaving the others to work amongst themselves.

Draco pulled out his transfiguration essay on the spell orchideous and leaves over to talk quietly to Lauren. "What's the wand movement again, Laur?"

"Swish, draw back and flick." She whispered back.

Right after he'd thanked her, loud footsteps stomped through the portrait hole. Everyone in the common room instinctively turned their heads towards the noise.

Paige let out a loud frustrated sound as she glared at Daphne and stormed over to the table. "Why the fuck did you do it?" She crossed her arms, daring Daphne to deny whatever it was she was being accused of.

Daphne paled significantly and began shaking slightly. "C-can we talk in private, please?" Her voice was unusually meek.

Paige scoffed rudely and rolled her eyes. "As if I'd give you that decency. Everyone deserves to know," she turned around and clapped her hands together before pausing.

"That you kissed Blaise." Her voice was laced with fury and disappointment.

Gasps resounded all around the room as they looked to Daphne, who had tears streaming down her cheeks by this point.

Blaise reddened. "Can you talk quieter or in private, Paige. I was heavily drunk that night and she stopped me right after, it was a split second and I didn't want her telling anyone because it meant nothing. Thanks for announcing it-"

"Oh shut the hell up. I had a bloody right to know if my girlfriend was kissing other people!" Her voice was still loud enough to echo. "Got anything to say, cheater?" She turned to Daphne again, waiting impatiently.

Daphne stood up. "I'm so so so sorry, Paige. I-I was just so ashamed and I guess didn't want to believe that it had happened at all. And it was a split second, but it was a very grave mistake on both of us. I'm sorry. I've been beating myself up-"

Paige laughed coldly. "You're sorry? Fat load of use that does for me." She took a step closer, Lauren stood up as it happened and pulled Daphne away as Paige attempted to shove her. Lauren's impeccable reflexes were sadly a lingering habit from her home life trauma, being able to recognise violence in a second.

Draco, Crabbe and Goyle stood up instantly and shielded the girls. Blaise advised Daphne to hide out in the boys dormitory with Goyle in case Paige went after her in the girls. Goyle and Daphne headed upstairs.

Paige glared. "You're seriously taking their side?"

Draco shook his head. "We want to remain neutral in this, as it's not to do with us. You and Daphne need to have a conversation when both of you are feeling ready for it. Don't do anything you'll regret," he gave a small smile to Lauren as she held his arm to keep him grounded. "We are sorry this all happened, Paige, we had no idea."