Twenty

Over the next few days, the fourth years and above were going ballistic over finding dates. The younger ones were also trying to coerce the fourth years into asking them. Pretty much the entire school was in a state of panic. Rumours flew around on who was taking who, what dresses the girls would be wearing and would the boys dress up?

Lauren shook it all off, she'd be more than happy to stick with her group of friends than be guilted into taking anyone else.

Just as they'd finished a tiring History of Magic lesson, an older boy Theodore Nott approached the group of slytherins. "Er, Lauren? Fancy a chat?" He ran his hand through his brown curls as his brown eyes met hers.

Lauren and hardly spoken to him, he was a fifth year and although popular he didn't mingle with the lower grades often.

"Sure, I guess. I'll be back in a moment, guys." She shrugged. As Lauren turned her back, Draco glared at Theodore. What was the bloke playing at? He was a notorious womaniser, not to mention anyone who knew Lauren knew she was close to Draco. Multiple rumours about the two started as soon as they'd stepped on the Hogwarts Express together.

Blaise sighed. "You could at least try to be subtle. If you don't ask her soon, she may say yes to someone else." He explained.

Deep down, Draco knew he was right. He just needed to muster up the courage. Being rejected by his best friend would hurt on another level. In saying that, they'd be there as friends, so that could lessen the chances of denial.

Daphne patted his shoulder. "You're just lucky she's oblivious about romance - Nott is just trying to get under your skin. Everyone who's seen you two thinks there's something going on."

"I'm not that obvious!" He protested.

Daphne just laughed in response, Crabbe and Goyle cackled too; that's when you know you've hit an all time low when those boneheads agree.

He nudged Daphne quiet as he noticed Lauren walking back, alone.

Before he had the chance to ask Lauren complained. "That's the millionth person to ask me to the Ball, I should just wear a sign saying 'Not Interested.'"

Draco raised an eyebrow, slightly worried for the answer he would receive. "You're not interested in going with anyone?"

Lauren contemplated his words. "I hardly know anyone else here, they're only asking because of my looks. Not as flattering as you'd think. I'd much rather go with you guys, than any of them." She nodded in finality.

Draco's spirits lifted considerably. He would ask her later on in private to attend the Ball with him. Even though it's a friendly offer, he wanted it to be a moment only between them.

The workload for the holidays had skyrocketed. A few of the teachers were more lenient in class time, as no one was retaining any information. The Yule Ball was the topic of everyone's conversation.

Some Professors remained stoic in their teaching, Snape and Professor Binns were the most unwavering. Nevertheless, the amount of homework and revision had stressed the cohort out.

The Slytherin group spent majority of their nights in the library, hastily completing essay after essay. Even Lauren, who was usually ahead of her schedule; was barely keeping her head afloat the sea of revision.

Lauren was also worried for her grandmother. She'd written home once a week, and hadn't heard back since the very first letter. A few weeks is standard, perhaps Estella was busy with whatever she consumed her days with. However, Christmas was two weeks away and Lauren was scared.

She had wondered whether to ask Narcissa about it - as Narcissa was sending letters to both her and Draco two days a week. Should she bother her? Did Lauren really want the answer if it was disastrous?

She had been feeling under the weather from the self induced stress. Lauren decided to write to her and ask, sadly this didn't give her relief as now the anxiety of waiting was hurting her.

Draco was anxious for his own reasons, he finally figured out how he was going to ask his best friend to the Ball. He wanted to make it special, regardless of going as best friends. She was the most important person to him. He had his mother send a necklace with her birthstone, Alexandrite and was going to ask her in the courtyard.

Saturday morning afternoon rolled around, Draco met Lauren downstairs at the foot of her dorm stairs. She came down looking as stunning as always in a snake print top and black jeans, Slytherin scarf loosely tied around her neck and her long hair in waves.

  She came down looking as stunning as always in a snake print top and black jeans, Slytherin scarf loosely tied around her neck and her long hair in waves

"Fancy going for a walk?" He asked, nervously turning the jewellery box in his pocket.

Lauren grinned. "Sounds great, Dray, just us?"

He nodded and guided her out of the common room and into the corridor. They walked in a perfect rhythm. He couldn't help but steal glances at her, trying to be subtle but it was difficult when she looked that beautiful.

She broke the silence. "Whereabouts did you want to walk to?"

"To the courtyards I reckon. We need some relaxation time, just you and I." He smiled as she agreed.

Draco made sure Lauren didn't fall through the trick steps, each staircase had different problematic steps. The courtyard was near the greenhouse, Lauren had only been there a small handful of times.

They passed scores of students but luckily, the courtyard was practically empty. Multiple wooden benches aligned the perimeter as the light grey cobblestone complemented the vines perfectly. Draco sat on the closest bench, patting the seat beside him.

"Did you end up writing to my mother about your grandmother, Laur?" He leaned in as to not attract attention, offering her his hand.

She squeezed his hand. "I wrote to her late last night. Should be hearing back any day. I'm sure it's all okay."

Draco registered all she said. "We will get through it, Laur."

She leaned her head on his shoulder. "You're the best, I hope you know that." She whispered. He pressed his lips together to try and hide the grin on his face. How was she so effortlessly amazing.

He shifted slightly, she raised her head as she looked at him. He reached into his pocket. "There was another thing," he handed her the box. "Would you like to go to the Yule Ball with me?"

Lauren's jaw dropped as she carefully opened the box. The alexandrite necklace glittered in the daylight. Her eyes softened as she nodded. "Of course I will."

Draco pulled her in to a tight hug before jumping up and twirling her around. "That's amazing, Laur. Thank you." He hugged her again. Lauren chuckled as her arms wrapped around his neck.

They'd headed back indoors, Lauren's arms were filled with goosebumps; Draco had leant his jacket. He knew the others would be wondering where they'd escaped to. But he made sure to take his time as they began talking excitedly about the Ball.

"I think Daphne will be ecstatic about the news - she seems invested in both of our lives." Lauren laughed.

Daphne was notorious for being invested in everyone's lives. "They'll just be happy I finally asked you, wanted to since it was announced." He said.

The alexandrite shimmered on Lauren's neck. Draco took her hand again, a natural occurrence between the two.