Chapter Seventy

"When you say to break free like that, so certain and unquestioning, I feel tremendously lost, you know? That another person would think it so easy and not be crushed the weight of those words, it makes me doubt everything... and hate everything I doubt."

"You are drunk Belem-" I tried, but he continued speaking as I spoke.

"I don't think anyone has ever suggested it before, though, only you are so simple."

"That word again..." It was beginning to take on a sour taste for me. Eudocia and Belem both seemed to think me this way. It was beginning to feel like an empty word used best to describe a man you did not know.

I opened my mouth to respond, pushing his hand away only for it to return again.

"I want to taste you." He said, but he sounded more like he was begging, even as he pressed down on me, loosely attempting to pin me to the floor.

My heart began to trot faster as I slowly understood the compromising position I was in here. My brain was no longer able to keep up at the regular pace and it seemed to twist the cogs terribly slowly but I realised how this would look.

I couldn't shake the sickening feeling that should Demosthenes walk in, right now, he would be mistaken. When he far more likely wouldn't care, in fact, might walk away uninterested even in the strangeness of the situation, in fact it was hard to imagine any other response from him, but somehow a part deep inside me was ringing all the alarm bells, trying to steer me away from the coast line it presumed to see.

I pushed back at his chest. Looking up at him, my eyes wide as I tried to pull him away from me. "Belem, you can't..."

"Please..." He begged softly, leaning in closer and pressing his lips to my neck once more, kissing my lightly. "Let me, please... Just for tonight."

I tried to pull away but my grip felt clumsy. Somehow, in my inebriated state, I felt as though I had a child on my lap, wishing to play with me, that was too heavy for me, I wanted to push him away but he was relentless, yet he was also a child and I could not bring myself to push too hard.

I might hurt him.

I blinked in confusion. Why on earth was I considering Belem to be someone vulnerable, he was just as strong as I was, if not quite possibly stronger. I shook myself out of my thoughts.

Belem was leaving a mark on my neck, I realised, when I haphazardly pushed him off of me in shock. The brief vision of the dark and insidious anger on the Demos's face flashing in my mind like a threat.

"What are you doing!" I hissed.

He looked almost pathetically grumpy as he pulled away. "Someone else marked you, can't I mark you?"

I was at a loss for words. I mean, fair I did not know him well but I still didn't expect this.

I slapped a hand to my neck. "You can't," I chided him. "It wasn't a mark like that besides!"

He laughed almost sardonically. "I know a mark like that when I see it. And I know who left it~" He sang.

The alarm bells grew louder and louder until I almost couldn't hear my own thoughts. I pushed him back from me and climbed up onto my feet, glaring down at him.

He knew. No. It wasn't possible that he knew.

"Better for you to leave now!" I insisted, taking him by the arm to drag him out of my room, willing that no one had seen us, that no one had witnessed what he had done even if it didn't matter at all, my other hand on my neck as though I would be wipe any mark he might have left behind away with a touch.