Chapter One Hundred and Sixty Six

[Demosthenes' POV]

There was always more to be done, and in between the long discussions I returned to the familiar training fields to practice, something I had failed to do for some time. The advisors suggested a period of repose, the intention of which was to convince my subjects that the war was well and truly over, despite being well aware it was not.

By the time I got out of the trailing field, working on the wooden puppet, Ophelos quickly hurried to my side and whispered in my ear that Elpis was witnessed going to meet someone in private.

I stopped and turned to look at him and he went quiet quickly.

I washed myself slowly with the wetted cloth, my eyes narrowing slowly.

Who would design to invite Elpis over like that, although most were unaware of our relationship there was still some recognition that my entertainer was mine, it was no one's place to meddle with him. Lady Thera and Lord Velius would not make that unfortunate mistake, being closely watched as they were.

Although there were a great many possibilities this meeting I could not hold back a little darkness swell, feeling it permeate the room slightly, Ophelos apparently feeling the chill rushed to bring me my robes and help me dress.

"What for?"

"He received an invitation... Technically, he really can't refuse an invitation like that if it comes from someone higher in rank..." But the wary look on his face appeared as a warning.

"Yes..." I nodded slowly, squinting at doorway as I finished up. 

Ophelos made to move back after his job done, reporting Elpis's location but I raised a hand and he froze.

I squinted at him, a quietly turning tide in my head. "Do you think he is in danger?"

"One waits outside the door, the other has gone down the servant passages to watch over them."

Translation; he did not know.

I moved under the pretence of calm, got up and moved toward the door, the distance crossed in a few long strides, my eyes narrowed. "I'll pay whoever this is a visit."

"Your Majesty?"

"I like to be invited to things." I told him with a slight unfriendly smile as I passed by him and he hurriedly followed behind me.

"I can go back for you, you do not need to attend the situation yourself..."

I glanced back at him with a lazy gaze. "I want to know what little lady is so bold as to privately meet an entertainer who cannot serve her conventionally." 

I spoke with a slight smile, but there was an unavoidable darkness to my voice.

Elpis would know better, but others might not...

[Elpis's POV]

The two serving maids watched us with almost unsettling attention, a shared glance passing between them from the one by the door to the one blocking what might have been the servants entrance.

And when I put the cup to my lips that attention turned particularly concentrated, sharp eyes watching every inch of movement from me.

I realised why, of course, they must have been worried, privately, about the odd little transgression that drinking before the host arrived would mean. And who knew? She might yell at them for it...