Chapter One Hundred and Twenty Two

[A/N] Just to make sure no one still thinks this, this book was never and will never be pay to read. That came out of nowhere. The chapter I mentioned (chapter 121.5) is a bonus chapter that does not alter the story or impact it, which is for my patrons, people who support me on patreon. 

Maybe I should have explained this better.

Also quickly, there is some complaints that the book is too long. I have slowly come to terms with the fact that this is how I write, and when I push myself to finish a book fast I'm not very happy doing it, it is why I abandoned my books on and off in the past. Please understand that I need to write at my own pace, and this includes not rushing the storyline.

It's really mainly one or two people who are actually annoyed at me for it, most people are okay with it. I just wanted to get this out of the way.

Thanks everyone.  <(_ _ ˶)>

[Elpis's POV]

Our return was somewhat astonishing, not only were there soldiers already there, all over the place carefully rifling through every carriage that was not the King's own, but more and more soldiers appeared along side us, fanning out over every square metre of the place, leaving their imprints behind on every mouldable surface as they scoured the land.

Little sections marched in organised chaos this way and that, even as I was ushered inside along with the rest of the procession there were soldiers in the halls, marching through. And I watched with semi bafflement as an unsurprised Demos walked past them in those grand carpeted halls and they boxed low on one knee with practiced ease before rising when he fell out of range and returning to their duties.

Once again I felt myself realising that this place was a stranger to me, that I did not know all that was happening inside it and was merely drifting alongside it all, occasionally accidentally swimming toward the centre.

"Your Majesty!" One who appeared higher in rank called out as he approached and bowed as Demosthenes turned. "Your Majesty they have been found. Unharmed."

"And the spy is alive?" He asked.

"Ah, yes." He nodded slowly. "He is alive. They took the narrow route to the stone room."

The King nodded. "Send Cigol to me." He ordered. 

"Alone?" The officer asked.

"Of course alone." He frowned.

"Yes... Yes, Your Majesty." He bowed low and started backing away.

I noticed others falling away beside me as well, feeling awfully out of place, a sore thumb standing out and looking strange on the soft carpet between the golden framed paintings of beautiful people with passionless gazes.

I glanced behind me and thought it was my turn to follow the rest of the servants, before I followed him too far and made a fool of myself, pun hardly intended.

Just as I turned and saw the hallway behind us, realising how far I'd managed to follow him down the hall without realising I was moving out of turn, slipping out of place, he turned as well.

"Exactly where do you think you're going?" He asked me, his tone sharp and low.

I jumped and turned back, my hands hovering in a sort of nervous stand still. "I- I was..."