Chapter One Hundred and Ninety One

Somehow amidst the strangely orderly chaos of it all I was able to piece together how the fire made such a mess of the earth below our feet and on top of it. There thicker arrows sent hurtling at a much lower faster angle with presumably alcohol soaked rags tied to them, and the moment their matches hit a fire rippled at our feet.

Leather shoes were resistent enough against this fire, even if it burned the skin a little where only light fabric was clothing our legs, but all in all it was clear the attempt was confusion, chaos and disorder.

Indeed I saw men fall over each other, saw the less well trained horses flip their owners and charge this way and that, There was so much noise both in sound and in sight that the scene nearly disarmed me.

But I let it move around me, rather than try to pick apart what each movement was, saw only the attacker coming toward me, saw his sword as an extension of him and only acknowledged him as a whole.

The knights and at least a few of the generals kept a close distance but fought their own fights, the sheer power of each individual something to marvel at. It made sense that Demosthenes saw them as his brothers. 

I kept Demosthenes in my periphery as I fought, saw the blinding power that left a clear impression on the enemy even in the middle of it all, and let the world fall to chaos beside us as we proceeded forwards. 

Arrows still peeled through the air and the smoke made it hard to spot them before they landed, the best of them made a whistle as they pierced through the air and even then it was hard to know exactly where they were coming from.

It seemed as though we were surrounded when the vision was so poor.

I ground my sword against another mans, saw the piercing glare on his face as he tried to lift and turn his sword around mine to find a good point to pierce the chest.

The muscles in my arms screamed as I fought back, sweat like rain trickling down my back and soaking into my clothes.

When another was close enough to cut me from the side I was forced to let go and instead dropped low, extended my leg and tripped him up onto the earth, pierced him with my sword and bent so that the second soldier might strike me where my armour was strongest.

I felt, rather than saw or even heard over all of the noise, Demosthenes strike over my head, the other soldier swinging. Energy rang through my blood and nearly toppled me, blood rushing in my ears. 

But I did not pause to thank him, because the moment I looked I saw another driving towards him, the one with a spear, who must have been departed from his horse. I turned my hip, bent my knee, and fully extended my arm, so that in a second the tip of my blade had reached further than I would had I stumbled up to greet him.

He nearly ran into my sword, but stumbled back and swung at it and I heard the snap a moment after it happened, there had to be fracture in the blade, but for now it was still sharp enough to cut.

I sliced him at the throat and did not look to see what became of him, only satisfied that the most imminent threat collapsed to the ground.

This fight continued, and it came with different courses, our much smaller army was forced to arrange ourselves very carefully so that we did not get corralled like chickens into a cage. We had to cover as much ground as possible, with our strongest at the front.

The fight was not only valiant, but nearly impossible.

Just when we saw the dent we had made there were more, and even though they seemed less and less keen to approach they were bolstered by the sheer number.