Chapter Forty Two

I looked up at him through my eyelashes with much uneasiness and dread, my imagination was running wild.

"Rise." He commanded me.

I rose from my knees and stood fearful on shaky legs. Still I was forced to look up to him, the man was tall and intimidating even from the natural height of a human male. It made me wish I was standing on a step so I could at the very least be at equal height.

"Y- Your Majesty I really, I really didn't mean to disobey you..."

He held a hand to silence me.

"Didn't mean to does so very little for me."

I swallowed heavily. "I would have you know that I am well aware of the idiocy of my actions, I was acting on a whim, but believe me, please, I would stand loyal." I promised.

Those devilish eyes pinned on me, the whites of his eyes glowing in the minimal lighting. He concentrated on me for a moment, a softer scowl finding its way to his face than the one before.

"Loyalty..." He said in a low voice, "Is not the vine I wish to trim."

Words came to my defence without thought. "I have not given you reason to lose trust in me. I only wanted to pursue the man. I know well what rule I have trespassed but please... Please do not punish me so that I must become fearful of you."

His eyes narrowed. "Wily words..."

I hurriedly shook my head. "Never. I simply meant that-"

"That you wish for me to be sweet with you when you know well that the whip lies close by my hand."

"Your Majesty-" I protested.

"Shall we go then, with what you know?"

I bit my lip, hard. A sheen was water covering my eyes. "I..." Finally, I nodded. For after all it was still better to know just what I would be facing, rather than waiting for a punishment I could not prepare or.

"But..." I looked down at the floor. "I am still sore." I whispered. "I would have you not whip the same place."

He smiled. "Fine." And then, "Remove your clothes."

I looked up at him in horror. "All of them?" I asked.

His smile grew dangerous. "All of them." He replied, the finality and intent prominent in his tone.

The room was cold, I was just realising, the goosebumps raising on my skin. I removed the first layer slowly, feeling those eyes watch me through squinted eyes as I undressed, shaking as I did so.

I was lucky I had not dressed in formal wear. For all I knew he might very well have called upon the services of a servant to help undress me were I unable to undress myself. I was sure such a thing would be humiliation beyond what I knew.

As it were I was finally down to braies. I had tied the bow on the drawstring a little tight and fumbled with it for a while, wasting the measly seconds before finally pulling them down too.

There was a small breeze in the room, it teased me as I stood there, my clothes scattered on the lush carpeted floor beneath my feet and to the side of me.

My face was warm as I looked up at the King, I hoped my paint would last me well and disguise how easily affected I was.

He looked preoccupied as his eyes travelled over my body, taking his time as he considered well every square inch of me. He looked pleased. A small twinkle in his eye as he returned his eyes to mine.