Chapter Eighty Eight

The wheels on this carriage seemed to travel far more smoothly than the one I had initially been travelling in. Still, I managed to feel a little sick as we moved forwards, my stomach twisting.

I sank my fingers in the soft velvet material beneath me and frowned to myself.

It was a grand old cabin, black on the outside with some gold gilding here and there but mostly plain, inside it's benches were cushioned in soft red and ever inch of the walls covered with a fine, warm embroidered material, mostly of the kosmima flower; a flower with few petals that, at first glance, often appeared to be made of metal, generally gold.

My lyre sat on the bench in front of me, someone had helpfully supplied it.

I examined my fingers closely.

"You'll travel with me here, be fairly warned it will not be in your best interest to leave the carriage without permission."

Those words had sounded so final nothing I said mattered. He had justified it as an entertainer accompanying his king. Which was fair in word but stranger in practice, especially considering I that pretty little time had passed between us that hadn't resulted in me pressed against his bedsheets, my lips bruised and tears in my eyes, desperately clinging onto him as he took great care in driving me burning me up from the inside out. 

What was worse was the tension I felt in me as I neared him now, no longer just fear, just nervous awareness of just how close I was getting to the spiders web...

I felt anticipation. Just sitting there in the back of my chest, a drive to see him more, to feel his lips on mine, eyes on me. I knew this would either be extinguished with time or brightened beyond what I could handle and I feared it completely.

There was music outside the carriage and I wished to see. What strange instruments, what costumes or dances were there? I was missing it all from the warm, comfortable moving room I was sat in. 

I sighed and rested my elbows on my knees, running my hands through my hair. It was long enough that it could reach past my shoulders now, I ought to be tying it back like any person who intends to present himself well.

It didn't matter, of course, because was nervous to peak outside.

"I will return in a while. Servants will attend to your needs."

He would have to continue the entire route as planned and the longer I thought about the the more convinced I was that it was a long time to spend on horseback.

I sighed, folding my hands over each other.

"Is- Is there a servant..." I asked quietly towards the edge of the drapes.

"Sir!" A servant replied, immediately stepping into the carriage.

I jumped back in surprise, a hand on my heart.

His eyes were wide. "Sorry sir, I thought you called-"

I raised a hand. "I did, I did. Just... How did you get here so fast, and how did you get on a moving carriage?"

He cocked his head. "Sir? The speed of the carriage matches a fast walking pace, sir."

I closed my mouth, straightening my posture and sitting back fully on the seat, my cheeks a little pink. "Is it that slow? It seems so fast..."

He seemed to smile slightly, I thought he seemed to have a friendly disposition that was perhaps preceded by a cold affect presented for the benefit of polite service.

"Not so fast, sir."

"I see..." I stared at him, waiting for him to step further inside.

He seemed to get the expectation after a moment and took a few more steps closer.