Chapter One Hundred and Thirty Four

[A/N] I had to edit this in because I nearly forgot but I got this a little while ago by our anonymous donator, a depiction of Elpis. Looks amazing man. 

Leaving through the palace walls made me infinitely nervous, and yet the feeling of loss as we parted so easily was a painful reminder that when I did, quite possibly, have to flee for my life, I would easily fall back into my old life, with my family.

I brought with me a small collection of things, the main one being at least half of my wages.

I thought if I spotted anyone I knew, anyone at all, even someone I'd only met as a friend on during my travels before I was wisped away to the palace, I could bury the joules in my scented pouch and ask them to deliver it to my family. The weight might make it obvious, but it was worth it, that they might receive some money just in case.

But as the wheels ground onwards the atmosphere was a little uncomfortable.

There was a great deal of smiling as we travelled, so that I became a little uneasy. She had with her two maidservants, sitting on either side, while Despina was sat out front with the coachman. 

Thera seemed in good spirits, even as the carriage climbed over some unwelcome gravel and the frame of the vehicle vibrated.

At last I did peek through the curtain, as the palace fell away I felt some of the grip of its rules and decorum fall away with it, necessity taking place over the newly drilled habit. 

I got a severe look from her maidservant but Thera raised a hand to stop her from mentioning it as I looked out which I was thankful for.

I saw the walls of the palace fall off into the distance and felt a measure of panic, remembering the day I arrived in search of Helga.

Now that I viewed it, I realised I might even just remember the exact route it took for me to get from the Mitter all the way to the palace, even if it took me till night to get there by foot. I wasn't sure why, but it gave me some relief knowing that.

I swallowed, let the weighted fabric fall back into place and placed my hands on my trousers.

I was wearing a nobleman's robes. They were strangely wonderful, although I'd never cared about fine garments before, these did seem to match me perfectly. They were a muted black, in a soft loose material that appeared silky on the outside.

The embroidery was of those trees, towering with bristles for leaves in a bluish-green, with a curling trunk and purple blossoms dripping from the branches. They would have looked like grapes if not for the impossibly fine details the master embroiderer managed.

I felt comfortable in it, but I must have looked strange. 

There was an exchange of words between Thera and her maidservant, the one who kept checking outside at odd intervals.

"We're getting close now." Thera informed me with a smile.

I nodded. I shouldn't say thank you too much or she would know this was a favour to me and not to her.

"Is there anything in particular you would like to show me?" She asked.

There was something oddly dispassionate about her voice.

"Well..." I mumbled in a low voice. "There are some rather good food stalls, if you're up for that sort of thing."

She smiled at me as though she was not.