Chapter Seventy Three

I looked up to see the cold look in his eyes and flinched, sliding my hand up my neck, trying to feel with my fingers what he was referring to.

"Get up." He ordered.

I got up from my seat, and from the look in his eyes I thought he was sending me out, for some perceived wrong-doing I had no knowledge of.

"I am no longer needed tonight, Your Majesty?" I asked, looking up at him with wide eyes.

His gaze remained cold and sharp, and he said nothing as he watched me.

"No longer needed?" He asked. "I asked you a question. You will be needed until you answer." He said, his voice chilly.

I swallowed, still not sure what he was referring to I felt my neck once more and came up empty. I wondered if a man could sink back into the walls if he tried hard enough as he took a step closer, reaching out, he grabbed my arm, just above my wrist, and pulled me after him.

"Your Majesty?" I stumbled of the title as I stumbled after him, nervousness swelling inside me.

We stopped a pace away from the bed.

"Get on it." He demanded.

I looked towards the bed, and back at him, my heart beating loudly in my chest, so loudly I thought I could feel it in my ears.

He narrowed his eyes, watching me, his gaze lingering on the side of my neck.

I took a deep breath, trying to ignore the feeling of arousal that befell me as I saw and felt the soft silk sheets of the bed with its feather mix stuffed mattress underneath. A deceptively soft thing that held nothing but heated memories for me that sent a begrudging spark of excitement to my cock.

I removed my shoes, that were more slippers, sat on the bed. On my knees, I turned around to face him, feeling like I was looking up at a giant as he looked down at me, towering the way he did.

He leant on the bed with one knee, approaching me. "Tell me who left that mark on your neck." He demanded, his voice sharp.

I realised what he meant, and the memory of Belem kissing my neck burned away on my face. That I was sending a message that Belem was a spy, hiding that it was from me, and yet he had been kissing me on the neck... I doubted any explanation would make it better when he read my note. I would be in trouble, if not seen as highly distrustful.

"I..." I came up short, no longer sure what to say the more I realised the sort of trap I had placed myself in.

I watched him helplessly as he got on the bed, still taller than me on his knees as I was sitting kneeling, he loomed in front of me, slightly hunched, and moved closer, so that now our knees were touching.

Why did I get the terrible feeling that I would be more surely sentencing Belem to a short-lived fate were I to reveal that it was him, than I would be revealing that he might just be the escapee...

I looked up at him, still trying to think of a reply. He reached out and I flinched the moment his hand came close to my face, but he did not hit me, instead he wrapped his hand around my throat, and with no pressure at all, let his fingers sit there.

My heart was racing, the feeling of his warm hand on my throat made me gulp and I knew he could feel my nervousness, feel my Adam's apple as it bobbed and possibly even feel the racing heartbeat that was drumming away like a hummingbird.

"Answer me." He demanded, with eyes that I thought I saw flames in.

I swallowed once more. "A friend," I said quietly. "Why do you ask, Your Majesty?"