Chapter Ninety Eight

I looked up at him, a little dazed by my own actions, like a man hypnotised. What was it that surrounded this man, this aura that drew me in that begged me to stay near. Dark eyebrows and eyes, hauntingly handsome features, perfect nose and lips, a couple loose curls daring to invade his face.

Unnervingly able at getting me to do whatever he wanted, so confident I would indeed do as he said that it made my wrists ache in his grip. When he leaned in to kiss me I gave in and closed my eyes briefly as I relaxed into that brief moment of heaven. He was so gentle at times, and the anxious sizzling of anticipation, knowing that at a moments notice he could burn me with his dominating tongue, I felt on edge.

"You were brought along, not for the benefit of the King at all, just so they could keep you hanging off their cock at night if they wished."

I closed my eyes and pulled back suddenly, jerking away from him. His grip on my wrists remained something solid and unyielding the sudden squint to his eyes as I panicked frantically out of the blue was bordering on a careful glare.

I turned my head sideways, a sliver of panic clouding the deep set yearning that came from being near him, from being trapped and held by him, a want to crawl closer and let my fears bury themselves while I was corralled into his grip. I opened my eyes, my chest rose and fell.

"Y- You were right..." I hesitated, looking up at a dark expression, my wrists half raised in his grip. "I played it terribly..." It was almost a whisper. "I will play it again."

His eyes narrowed. "Play it later." He replied, his voice low, he turned his angle on me slightly and with it my own so that I realised I was beginning to turn my back on the bed and the full knowledge of realising a swift breeze could have me falling backwards on it made my heart triple its exercise.

I pulled away, this time he let my wrists go but the ache remained. I clenched my fists, closing my eyes. "This is unwise... you have a woman waiting for you."

His look turned dark. "Oh, and you've decided that for me?" He spoke in a low tone, that hovering blade turning towards me.

"I meant-"

"A man of many talents, an entertainer and a matchmaker." He murmured, with a deadly gaze on me as he grew me closer. My eyes fell on his lips as he spoke, flickering back up to meet his burning gaze.

She was a tense topic for him, but she lingered in the back of my mind, like a dark cloud in the near distance. I was not sure why I suddenly arranged to bring her up but from the way his aura turned dark I knew my mistake.

I had only pulled away half a step when he reached for me, pulling me back by the front of my shirt and drawing me in roughly. I inhaled sharply and looked up at him, wide eyed. The back of his fingers rough and warm against my chest.

My breath wavered as I whispered, "I'm sorry... I made no insinuations-"

"You did." He said, hovering over me like a lion preparing to bite.

My heart pounded loudly. "I meant- I meant to say..." My breathing got quicker as he got closer. "My King, I meant to say..." I was too nervous, the words found their way to the tip of my tongue and made it no further. "A prospective wife."

"Quiet." He ordered, with thick irritation. "If you speak of her again tonight, Elpis, and I'll punish you." His dark brown eyes glittered, gentle fingers found my clothes and loosened the buttons, so easy to undo that the garment was removed from me with ease.

I shivered as he leaned in. "I never leave my whip behind you know..." He murmured, his lips moving against the skin of my neck.

That threat unleashed a desperate fire from within me, without sense or logic, unwavering heat that burned in me. Perhaps it was the danger that drew me in, perhaps it was the stark reminder of nights whose memory lingered on my skin and I closed me eyes.