Chapter One Hundred and Four

[Velius's POV] 

The air was crisp and clean, refreshing almost, if not for the smell of the horses grazing near our accommodation. Instead I woke up bright and early beside my complaining wife and her shrivelled grimace. It was a strong smell, one the lavender in our cushions did not do a good job of disguising.

I waited impatiently for the servant to enter to dress me and left without, passing the coachmen without reprimanding them despite the smell irritating me as well. The matter of morning tea forgotten in favour of other tasks.

I was eternally bored living in the palace, it was a feeling I had grown up with and never quite stricken off of my chest. When I had been pushed towards marriage I had selected a woman who no matter how irritating and useless had resembled me in that sense, despite coming from a less prominent family. She was bitter with boredom.

I had been offered many roles and done them all badly, had no interest in work but saw only fleeting interest in play.

Today, however, I had goal, and that alone was so delicious I imagined the sweet, candied conclusion if I played my cards just right.

Firstly, of course, one must ascertain whether the two fools were indeed in some sort of relationship. That would by far be the most difficult of any of the steps, however the fact that they were unlikely to know I suspected, would be of great benefit to me.

So I headed out towards one of three tents housing the serving staff, of mixed stations and roles. They were primitive thin fabric-ed structures that would not have housed more than two at most had they not reduced the bed size down to a stiff mat that I had confirmed in the past, was no fun at all to bed someone on.

The one closest to my own lodgings should have been where he was staying, and it was early enough in the morning that he had no reason to be gone, especially considering his lack of any duties that would compel him to wake at a certain time.

I peered inside, holding the drapery door open with three firm fingers. There was no light inside but the entire tent seemed to be occupied aside from three beds.

I stepped inside quietly, perused the sleeping individuals, one waking and seeming startled, frightened first then confused as he realised who I was, looking around at the other men to see who I might be searching for.

The Joker was clearly not here.

I left just as easily, head still held high.

Interesting, my inward smile turned outward.

As the diligent sort that I am I went through the servants lodgings, first the other men's tent, then finally the women's, to which there was some nervous muttering, the women being notoriously earlier to wake, this was for fun more than for the sake of the search.

There were a few servants eating while they had the chance, things they had stored from the night before, and brewing tea. They peered round at me as I passed, curious by nature but too submissive to ever approach.

So I approached instead, and asked them where such a fellow might be. Most nervously tried to correct their clothing as I proceeded towards them and when I asked shook their heads cluelessly, all save for one, a tasteful brown haired boy who had unfortunate teeth who occasionally worked caring for my horses.

"That's Elpis, sir. He didn't come back last night. Went off to work late last night, he'll return soon, Lord Velius."

"We thought he was with you." A woman replied, retying her bonnet. She looked up and hastily added. "I mean- With- Playing music, Sir."