Chapter One Hundred and Seventy Six

[A/N] Oh my god I posted chapter 181 by accident.

*taking time to mentally recover     (。𖦹﹏𖦹)

[Elpis's POV]

When I woke up the next day and hurriedly dressed upon seeing Alkimos nearly ready, we were both startled by the servant master knocking and entering telling me to sit back down.

"The one called Aither is to rest for a day or too. He is apparently injured." He said apparently with some level of a drawl as though he doubted it very much.

I pulled the blanket over my legs and belly instinctively, a slight tinge of warmth on my face that Demos must have told someone to get them to not put me to work early.

Alkimos gave me an odd look as he finished getting ready. "How did you get injured?"

"I... I fell looking after the children."

He huffed. "Grand old master you had that they made sure you wouldn't work. You seemed to be walking fine." He raised a brow as though he was very sure I was making it up too.

"I already feel better. I'd be fine to work." I agreed. In truth I still felt very sore, seemingly all over, and even worse that aching stinging brought about the memory back into my head. I couldn't help but think that if anyone here knew they would still not believe me.

He sniffed. "Then you should work. I won't be kind to someone lazy." And he left.

I felt some guilt initially, knowing that whatever I did not do would mean more work for someone else, but then Agrius came early.

"What?" He snapped at me as I stared up at him, startled by his presence. "I was told you were still able to sit upright, I won't require you to run about like Silas." He already sounded irritable.

I pressed my lips together and begrudgingly sat at the table with him. "Agrius, sir, don't you think this is a little far for you to travel? I wouldn't want to inconvenience you, I'm sure De- the King has already forgotten about ordering these lessons..."

He scoffed. "Be quiet Joker. I'll be staying in a room on the upper level of the house where, in the future, you will come for your lessons... He has not forgotten anything. Just because you are being hidden does not mean one cannot make use of the opportunity and learn some grace and decorum."

He slammed a heavy book on the table. "There is always more to learn. If your legs give way from your training with Silas remember I will show no mercy, you will return as before, after your chores, and sit with me at my table."

"But I-"

"If that bothers you then you may wish to decline further training with him." His eyes pierced right through me as he squinted and the lines in his face gathered up around his eyes.

I pressed my lips together. "I'll be fine..." I mumbled.

But it would have been a slight lie to say this proved true.

The next day I started my chores with Alkimos, who only ever seemed to teach me how to do half a job before getting distracted or losing interest.

I did my best with every chore although much of it was new to me regardless of how long I'd lived in the palace and I couldn't be sure I was doing everything correctly when Alkimos was quick to disappear.

"Alkimos..." I looked around for him, needing to know if I'd placed the coal in the basin below correctly, there were holes in it and which made me suspicious there were two basins and this was the wrong one.