Chapter Thirty Seven

[A/N] If you're enjoying this book consider becoming a follower of mine. Or if that's too much commitment, consider signing a marriage contract with me. I've been told the one I signed with myself doesn't count. :'(

My patreon is, as always, linked. If you're interested in one to two week early updates... or just supporting me. : )

I reluctantly sat back down.

I wanted to see what was happening but I didn't want word to reach back to Demos that I had disobeyed him. I had done that once already and I knew what to expect. Well... I had done it more than once but even thinking thoughts such as those brought out warning signals.

Alec and Cole stood by the door, they tapped the hinges, waited and then moved back to the centre of the room.

Alec looked uneasy.

"Are you going to answer?"

I gave him a puzzled expression. Barak beside me glared at him.

"Answer what?"

He frowned. "Alright, never mind."

I knew what he had asked me.

I didn't want to answer.

It wasn't the stealthiest method of avoiding answering a question but it was better than nothing. Though I was fairly certain all three of them knew I had heard the question. Seen me turn my head when he asked it, eyes wide.

It didn't matter. I couldn't answer. I didn't want to answer. Not only because answering was probably very dangerous but also because I didn't want to think about it.

Was that what that was? Did he think of me as some kind of toy to be enjoyed fleetingly? Surely the short time I had spent with him could not have evoked any kind of deeper emotion toward me so the man could not truly see me in any other fashion.

Those thoughts hurt. Why? No, I should not ask questions I don't want answered.

The bottom line was that he was not a man to have such relations with, nor such emotions for. He was better observed from afar than... well... than dragged into his bed and held down, kissed breathless so that my heart beats at twice its normal rate.

I felt flushed thinking about it.

I needed to find a way to remove myself from him, bring myself further away.

He was dangerous for both my head and heart.

The next hour or so passed by in complete silence. I had resolved to keep my mouth shut until I eventually gave in. Silence is torture, I decided, especially when the men you shared it with clearly didn't enjoy being silent.

"I... I propose we play a game." I announced.

Barak and Alec turned to me.

"A game?" Asked Barak. "We're on duty, as odd as it seems, we can't play a game while guarding you."

"Oh." I sighed. So much time and so little to do. Did guarding someone require being bored out of your mind? I don't think I should enjoy being a soldier at all.

"If one can play a game guarding the artillery I can't see why we can't play a game guarding a joker."

"Alec," Barak scolded him, "It's one thing going through a routine four hours of sitting outside a door waiting for no one and another thing being commanded directly by the King himself to guard someone for an hour or two at most."