Chapter One Hundred and Seventy Nine

[A/N] Okay okay here we go... I wanted to finish the Pride Month chapter before this one so that I could link to it in the hyperlink! So it's there in the hyperlink, or if you go to my patreon it'll be the most recent two posts. 

Whew okay, let's go. ( ˘ ˚˘ )=3

[Elpis's POV]

I'd remained a little nervous the following days, concerned that when Demosthenes received the letter he might be so appalled he would issue out punishments over the distance between us, just to prove he was still well able.

But as the days went on it seemed he had decided to tolerate it, and the note I received back was one quickly scrawled in legible script, though with its own sort of unusual elegant flair, that informed me of the injury to his arm.  The other medics had gone back with the severely wounded and so they waited for a medic to arrive. 

' To say any more than this in a letter would be ill advised, but I will hide nothing from you, my nervous soul. For now remember that your duty is to stay put. I shall forgive your tone, but be careful little man, because you seem to forget that I will return. Be good. Dress properly. Remind yourself that you are mine.'

I swallowed reading it and laid back on my bed. It wasn't enough. I needed more from him. A book perhaps? My body felt hot and there was little outlet for it, so instead of relieving myself I chose to was nearly every day, to submerge myself in the either hot or cold water and let my thoughts sink away with it.

I could not help but train even harder with Silas. 

Even though it could not be put any improvement to use I still needed the distraction, because everything else seemed to be so carefully arranged by him that I saw Demosthenes' touch wherever I went, and no one else saw the same.

I argued with my fellow servants one night too, something that turned into the first proper row I ever had, and left me on some bad terms with the other, less friendly servants.

It was an innocent bet, on whether their King would survive.

He had already outlived the usual lifespan, and some suspected this war would be against a better prepared enemy than before. Some betted he would die, some even suggested he would be replaced and no one would know, others argued he might survive, but die later like the Iron King.

I felt such a sinking feeling that when I snatched the parchment they were taking notes of their bets on I might have torn and put it in the washing water. And unable to explain myself I had chosen to sound patriotic instead, and demanded that they not curse the country with thoughtless bets.

Occasionally I heard them speak about me, though any real animosity had subsided fairly quickly. "He thinks he's a King's Knight because he comes from the palace. That'll be his own undoing. No wonder he's so nervous lookin'. 

"That King'll never see him, never know he ever existed, but more's to him if he wants to burn rosemary and sing prayers for 'im." I heard them speaking round the corner one evening.

"Not doing no harm. I don't believe in curses but we might as well be routin for Euphranor to win happy." Another replied. 

In this time I sent out letters to nearly everyone. My family, my friend Natham and a few others in the palace that I thought might have wanted a letter, and even Amun, although this letter I passed on to Silas, who did not question it and although I wasn't sure if he was successful, certainly attempted to deliver it.