Chapter One Hundred and Ninety

[A/N] I was working on chapter 194 and it got very long so it took me much longer than I thought it would. Actually this chapter is also longer than usual, but here we go darlings, everyone ready? Alrightey...

[Elpis's POV]

I was floating, just drifting aimlessly in a warm clear space, occasionally I felt his fingers in my hair, on my chest, his legs brushing against my legs. Warm skin, soaked in that deep musky scent that made me breathe deeply.

It felt so perfect, safe and comfortable. Every limb so relaxed I was not sure they were still attached to me, the only vague thought running through my head that I liked the way his fingers ran across my scalp, tickling my hair.

It was when I looked ahead and saw the clouds, thought to myself how impossible it was to float in the sky this way, that I realised, or perhaps more accurately speaking, remembered that I was in a dream... and that where I was, many feet below, there was a war.

I struggled to open my eyes, breathing heavily, my eyes heavy and all the aches and pains in my body returning to me all of a sudden.

Demosthenes was not beside me when I patted the empty space blindly and my eyes opened wide. I looked up in a panic, my heart hammering like a blacksmith in the morning.

Demosthenes turned slowly to look down at me from where he sat at the edge of the bed, dressing slowly, dark hooded eyes examining my expression, before slowly travelling over the rest of me.

"Bad dream?"

I shook my head slowly. "Demos..." I croaked, cleared my throat and then continued. "I'm ready, I'm good..."

I moved to get up and he raised a brow at me, pushing me lightly back down by the shoulder. "Where do you think you're going?" He asked, his voice a low dangerous rumble.

My mouth opened in shock. "Demos... You made a promise, you dare break it?" 

He blinked at me, his expression soured before he finally scoffed and continued dressing. "I'm not dressing for war, or I would already be done. We are not called to action yet, the enemy appears to wait..." He examined his nails briefly and spoke facing down to toward them. "..."

I sagged into the bed, a little embarrassed and relieved. "I thought you might leave without me."

He continued dressing calmly. "Better that you rest well or I still might."

"I'm well, I'm full of energy..." I winced as I sat up, my hooded eyes feeling heavy and slow.

He scoffed as he glanced back at me, his fingers sliding over the thin silk as he fastened his training shirt. "Go to sleep. Or when the seekers finally tell us to leave I will have this sleeping delinquent shipped back to Mynthe."

His eyes narrowed as he got up. "She has some gall, that woman..." His voice was low.

I frowned. "I snuck inside the carriage, she knew nothing about it."

He scoffed, annoyed. "She's not stupid enough to allow that to happen. And a letter that is passed to my manservant and not to me, that implicates him in your disappearance..."

I blinked slowly, sitting up in bed, a mild ache in my lower back, soft sheets strange beneath my legs. "She... kept me with her while the others were weighed and checked..."

He looked back at me, grabbing a vest from the stand and joining it with a sword. "She would hardly supply the route, but leave some chance if she thought the cause was enough..." He narrowed his eyes, briefly the dark brown eyes glittering as they looked down at me.