Chapter One Hundred and Thirty

[A/N] Here's another really cool piece of art by Paperrmusic, shout out to them, a depiction of Elpis, love the way this looks. Awesome. ✧✧✧

[Elpis's POV]

The stables were unusually quiet that day, as if they knew I came there to think, to remind myself how dangerous it would be to leave with Thera like that. If I was caught I wasn't entirely sure I would be brought before the King at all, perhaps they would deal with me on the spot. And if I were... what side of him would I see that I had not yet seen before? I was kept that lane of enquiry quiet in my head.

What added to the quiet, however, was the lofty equine figure with her rump turned to me as she slowly grazed on the hay in her stall, as though I didn't exist.

"Helga..." I murmured gently, patting her side, her big belly smooth and round.

She moved away from me, snorted and continued eating, ignoring me.

"Are you upset?" I asked. "You know I couldn't take you with me..." I patted her side again.

She huffed, still not looking at me, as if asking me if I truly thought she cared.

"Oh don't be upset..." I patted her again, holding up an apple from my leather bag. "I've an offering for you. You'll have to forgive me once you eat it."

But in fact she was stubborn and even presented with a green apple she was loyal to her cause and ignored me.

I frowned. "Won't you forgive me? I'm only keeping you out of danger the further away from me I keep you..."

I pressed my forehead to her warm fur and sighed wistfully. "In fact I've even got to apologise to you in advance..." I murmured. "I'm going to do something dangerous on whim. I can't bring you with. If I get caught at least I'd like for you to live your life well cared for, not like at home. Who knew such a big belly had been so empty. Look how much better you look..." I brushed my hand over her fur. "Who knew you could be so soft and silky."

She looked over to me. Perhaps she was responding well to the compliments.

"Bright eyes... You look more energetic too, I can't imagine any horse outlasting you on a journey..."

She watched me from the side.

"But of course with such good breeding who is surprised, there's a reason my mother sent me off with you."

I patted and stroked her muzzle and was cheered on by her not moving, even though her normal self would be louder, throwing her rump into me haphazardly and waiting for me to give her, her daily offerings.

"Perhaps I've agreed to something bad. Perhaps I will stay..." I wondered to myself, troubled by the prospect of leaving with Thera. "If I do, you can live on happily though. I'll bribe the groomsmen to be very loving." I pulled her heavy head toward me and pressed my forehead against hers with a sigh. "Or you can try to save me." I laughed.

She neighed suddenly and stumbled backwards laughing. "Was that an agreement or a protest?"

She nudged her head toward me and I offered her an apple, which she happily ate from my hand.

I sighed, leaning back. "Am I risking too much?" I wondered to myself.

She snorted loudly, giving me a particularly judgemental look.