Smoke Break

Chapter 52

Chapter 52

Everything stops. The world stops spinning. Phor stops moving. I stop breathing.

What the fuck just happened?

I stumble backwards until my back hits the wall. The impact knocks the gun out of my hand.

I watch in horror as Phor's body slumps over. Max screams as her body hits the ground. It's a heart-wrenching scream that takes me back to the night Jonah died. She sounds just like my mom.

I can't believe I'm the reason she's screaming like that.

"Shit," Caesar whispers.

I snap my head in his direction. My eyes are wide with panic. He rubs his head as he stares at the scene in front of him. Then he looks at me.

He doesn't have to say a word. The saddened look in his eye confirms what I already knew.

This isn't something he can save me from. I fucked up and now this was going to fuck me up.

"What did you do?! What the fuck did you do, Candyce?!" Max cries.

She cradles Phor's limp body against her. A pool of blood slowly forms around them.

I think I'm gonna' be sick.

I put my hands on my knees to brace myself but nothing comes up. I pull in deep breaths.

Max continues screaming at me, but the ringing in my ears drowns her out.

Why did I do that? Why did I do that?

"I didn't mean to," I whisper.

I don't know what happened. I saw Phor's finger on the trigger and I just reacted. It was just a reaction. It wasn't intentional...right?

"Candyce," Caesar says.

I feel his hand on my back. I don't turn around. I can't face him right now.

"You need to leave," He says.

I furrow my eyebrows. Did I hear him right? What does he mean I need to leave? What about him?

I turn around.

"What?" I ask.

"You need to go," He says.

He takes the car keys out of his pocket and holds them out to me.

"Go wait in the car. If I'm not back in time just leave without me," He says.

I stare at him.

"What do you mean if you're not back in time? Back in time for what?" I ask.

"Somebody must've heard the shots and called the police by now. You need to be gone before they get here so if I'm not back in time, just leave without me," He says.