Real Lies

Chapter 53

Chapter 53

I tell ya man, for all his overprotectiveness, that nigga Ace was onto something.

I spent all night thinkin' 'bout what he woulda done in my situation. I half expected him to show up at my house looking for round two 'cause of what I did to Candyce. I know I crossed the line before. I may have fucked her and brought her in the game but what I did last night was unforgivable.

Killing somebody changes a person. It strips them of whatever innocence they have left. Candyce wasn't no saint to begin with, but she ain't deserve that. I couldn't sleep knowing I was responsible for how she was feeling so I went to see her as soon as the sun came up.

Turns out, she was still sleep. Either that or she ain't wanna' see me. Ms. Rochelle answered the door so I ain't press the issue. I figured I'd just tie up some loose ends while I waited for her to get back to me.

I took a detour out the state on my way back from her house. I drove out to Mississippi to drop our guns and ol' girl's purse from last night in the river. I coulda just tossed it over the Crescent City Connection Bridge at home, but this a double homicide. The cops gon' be all over this. Ain't no such thing as being too safe.

The drive south was an hour out my way, but fuck it; it was worth it. I'd rather waste time and gas than years in prison over this shit. I'm hoping I could finally get some peace of mind now that I got rid of all the evidence.

As I turn onto my street, my phone starts ringing. I pick up my iPhone to see Candyce's name on the screen. I smile to myself. Sleeping beauty finally woke up.

I start to answer the phone until a figure in my driveway catch my attention. I have to look up twice 'cause I can't believe what I'm seeing.

I drop my phone in the cup holder while it's still ringing.

"Bitch tryna get me killed," I say through gritted teeth.

I whip my car into my driveway. I hop out the car and slam the door.

"The fuck you doing here, bruh? You tryna get me killed?" I ask.

Felicity folds her arms as she leans against her car.

"What can I say? You're a hard man to find especially when you're dodging my calls. I didn't know what else to do," She says.

"Bitch you did better arresting me than showing up outside my crib like this," I say.

I glance around. Thank God it's too early for motherfuckas to be outside.

"And ain't nobody dodging shit. We just ain't got nun' to talk about right now," I say.

"Is that so?" She asks.

I smack my teeth.

"You said call if Ace shows up. He ain't show up so I ain't call," I say.