Lines Are Drawn

Chapter 42

Chapter 42

None of us try to stop Simon from storming out the door after our talk. My hands would already be around Calvin's neck if I was him.

I'm surprised he kept his head this long.

After we got back from terrorizing the hood, Simon ain't waste no time tellin' me 'bout myself. We wasn't all seated yet when he started goin' in 'bout what I should have done differently. He felt like I should have asked Spring more questions about the niggas that took Candyce. The hitters amen'd him, agreeing that I should have asked her how old they looked and what race they was.

I felt like I was the only one who remembered how old Spring was. I had to remind them fools that she still believed in pinky promises. There was no way I could have asked Spring about race without explaining what I meant first. We would've been in handcuffs by the time she wrapped her head around race not being that thing she does at recess. We was on a time limit and I did what I could with the little time we had.

Besides, it ain't like we came back empty-handed. These niggas just wasn't used to dealing with kids. They thought it was easy getting a straight answer out of a child. They didn't realize that you gotta learn to read between the lines as a parent.

Even somebody as young as Spring is knows the difference between an adult and a child. She called them big kids so most likely it was a teenager or somebody young enough to make her think they was one.

Once I broke it down like that, everybody except Simon got onboard. He tried to fight me on it, but I wasn't having it. I wasted enough time going back and forth with him earlier. I ignored him, and he started pacing the room while we worked through potential enemies.

Although Spring said Candyce was asleep in the car, we ruled out it being a random attack. Since as Munch pointed out, Candyce's car was still parked out front with the keys in it when Daz found it. We all agreed that would've never happened unless niggas knew who their neighbors was. Everybody in that hood had to have known it was a traphouse. That's why everybody minded their business when Candyce got kidnapped and why they left her car alone.

If it wasn't some random niggas lookin' for a quick come-up, then that meant taking Candyce was personal. The only problem was, I couldn't think of anybody I had done so wrong that they'd be stupid enough to take it out on Red.

We was at a dead end until Simon went back to something Munch said.

"Our neighbors knew what went on in the traphouse, but nobody knew better than the niggas that worked there," He said.

"Look, I just told y'all niggas I ain't got none against Candyce," Munch said.

"I'm not talkin' 'bout you. Four other niggas worked there before you," Simon said.