California Love

3 MONTHS LATER

3 MONTHS LATER

Chapter 15

Being on the run only made me realize two things: shit ain't always as good as we make it out to be & two, that we gotta charge it to the game and keep thuggin'.

I ain't had a good night's sleep since the night before everything went down. I'm up all hours of the night thinking bout how I let Jonah down, how I let my Pops down and I how I let the fam down. When my pops died I swore on his grave I was gonna always protect what was mine. Up until 3 months ago that shit actually felt possible. Then again, let me stop frontin'. Even before the Feds ran in our shit like we was behind on rent, shit was still fucked. Candy was running round the city like a loose goose and Simon couldn't be left alone for two seconds without pocketing some shit.

Not to mention, it ain't lost on me the way Mama's mood changes when I walk in the room. I think half of her sadness got a lot to do with worrying about me. I know she think I'm running wild but I'm not no crash dummy. Santana taught me better than that.

On the real, I feel like the other half of her sadness is really just disappointment that I grew up to be just like my dad. It hurt my head thinking about where her head at now that both him and Jonah gone. She prolly wondering which one of her children the game gonna claim next. I'm wondering the same thing.

"Are you ever gonna go back to sleep?"

I turn my eyes away from the ceiling to look at Yuri. It's too dark to see her face but I can make out the outline of her sleeping shorts, tanktop and bonnet. I'm glad I can't see her face but I can tell how sleepy she is from her voice alone.

"My bad, Ri. I wasn't tryna wake you up or nun'. I just can't stop planning my next move you know?"

I rest my arm across my eyes as she walk over to me. Her socks ain't making much noise on the hardwood floors of her living room, but the subtle creaks lets me know she standing bout a feet away from me.

"Well that's good to hear. I can't have you sleeping on my couch forever," Yuri whispers.

I force a smile her way to lighten the mood. She's sitting cross-legged next to the leather sofa that crunches with every toss and turn I make. Considering she sleep with her door open, I ain't surprised it woke her up.

"Three months ain't even that bad," I say.

"You right. I have put up with yo ass for...how many years now?"

Turning on my side, I use my left arm as balance while I lean down to kiss her. Her eyes get bigger when I pull away from her. I go back down to kiss her again and again and again until she finally catch on.

"What are you doing, Ace?" She mumbles against my lips.

"Kissing you for every year you been 'putting up with my ass'."