The Meet-Up

Chapter 32

Chapter 32

"You good?" Tory asks as I approach the three of them posted next to Daz's car.

"Yeah," I say, giving him a side hug.

Truthfully, I'm far from good. This past week felt like being in a boxing ring. From our botched CPS interview, to Max and I's fallout, I can't help but feel like my back is against the ropes. It's the twelfth round and Life is beating my ass right now. No matter how much I prepare myself for the bullshit ahead, Life always finds a way to catch me off guard.

Still, I gotta roll with the punches. That's why I'm standing in the cold with Munch, Daz and Tory instead of being at home feeling sorry for myself.

I spent the whole ride over mentally preparing myself for the shit that's about to come with welcoming Munch and Tory to the trap. Simon has no idea that the meet-up is scheduled for today, only that it should have been happened. That would have been the case if Simon hadn't abandoned them at the trap last week to meet me at the police station. I know he was worried but I also know there's two sides to every story. Worried or not, he knew that as long as he wasn't at the trap to meet Munch and Tory, then him, Calvin and Curry could continue working on borrowed time.

"Y'all been waiting long?" I ask now.

"Not as long as last time," Tory says.

"But it wasn't this fucking cold or raining either," Munch says.

I still can't believe it's gotten this cold. The rain feels like pellets hitting the back of my jacket. What should have been a light rainstorm has since turned into a shower of miniature icicles.

"I'm sorry for dragging y'all out here today. I ain't know Simon was gonna' leave y'all hanging last time," I say.

Though I can't say I'm surprised. Simon didn't want Munch there to begin with so he damn sure wasn't about to let him in without me being there. That's why I postponed my pity party to make sure I was here today. If Simon is too stubborn to do what has to be done, then I'll do it myself. It's what I've been doing anyway.

"I ain't trippin'. I'm just glad you showed up. You told me 'bout the shit with twelve then never hit back. T thought they sent yo' ass packing" Munch says.

"Packing where?" I ask.

"Upstate," Munch says.

"Well it's good to be home, I guess," I say.

Munch uses his olive green coat to re-cover his nose and mouth. His wheat Timbs are splotched with dark spots from the rain. Daz stands to the left of him with a black bubble coat zipped to his mouth. His hands are in his coat pockets as he shifts from foot to foot trying to warm up. Then there's Tory, probably the coldest and warmest out of all of us. Warm because he's dressed in all-black but cold because he's only dressed in a thin hoodie, black jeans and black Timberland boots. He has on the thinnest layers out of all of us but he seems the least fazed by the weather.