A Thin Line

Chapter 34

Chapter 34

"C'mon, Keyana, you buggin' out," I say.

She sighs, settling back to her regular height after standing on the tip of her toes to inspect the bruise Black left behind.

"Why won't you let me look at it?" She asks.

"Cause it ain't bout nun. His bitch ass got a lucky shot. He wouldn't have even got that if Candyce wasn't in the way," I say.

Keyana's pulls her neck back.

"Candyce?"

I smack my teeth. I ain't in the mood to talk about her no way.

"Drop it, son. I just said it wasn't bout nun," I say.

She stares at me like she know I'm lying--which I'm not. But I ain't exactly telling the truth either. I just dropped down from a flight though. How the fuck I'ma tell her I was in another bitch face asking her to forgive me for putting my family first not even four days ago?

Keyana ain't no killer, but off them hormones, she might take a scalpel and jug a nigga up. Lucky for me we ina airport and she can't bring no weapons in here. So she can stand there looking stupid all she want, but she can't do shit about it until we get home.

Besides, I got more important shit I gotta catch up on. I coulda sworn I saw my lil man running through the airport terminal to get to me.

"Daddy!"

I move between the strangers in the airport, looking for the familiar face to match the voice calling out to me. Once I spot the tiny shoes racing through the crowds, I push past the rest of the people waiting for family and scoop my boy up.

"Daddy!" He screams.

"Hey lil' man! You missed me?" I say.

He nods his head fast enough to snap his neck in two. It's crazy how he ain't got nan a feature from me and still, his smile is enough to fill that void Candyce left. And it ain't just her. It's Reese moving like we on opposite sides of the same team. This shit with Ralo ain't enough to get him shooting back to New York but it is enough for us to get into it every time we see each other. So it's best if we stay out each other way completely.

Real shit, Amir's smile is more of a vacation from the bullshit I been facing back home than this whole trip finna be. I can tell by the way Keyana still side-eyeing me but also cause I see her annoying ass mama and messy ass sisters walking up to us.

I put Amir ona floor and look back at Keyana.

"You ain't tell me they was gon be here," I say.

"Why wouldn't they be? It's Thanksgiving and my family hasn't seen me in months. I know you don't think so but some people consider that a long time," She says.