Jackboyz

Chapter 46

Chapter 46

All my senses hit me at once when I wake up with my head on Caesar's chest. Afternoon sunlight pours in through the windows in his room. I curse myself for leaving the curtains open this morning. I love a good sunrise, but I can't handle the sun when its pressed high in the sky like it is now. I squint my eyes and turn over.

As soon as my head falls back onto Caesar's chest, a loud ringtone sounds around us. I groan as he pulls himself free from me. Our bodies are sweaty, sticky and wrapped in covers from sex earlier, so it takes him a moment to untangle himself from the web of sheets. Without the support of his strong chest to lay on, my mess of curls falls back into the space where he just was. I grudgingly grab a pillow and snuggle into it.

I watch him tap away on his phone as he rests against the headboard. I squint one of my eyes as I watch him.

"Who was it?" I ask.

"Daz," He says.

I perk my head up. I wasn't expecting that. It's only been two days since we last saw each other, but for some reason it feels much longer. I guess after spending almost every day with someone, two days apart can feel like a lifetime.

I wanted to see how he was holding up after the funeral, but after talking to Munch, I no longer felt like it was my place. He drew lines in the sand and made it pretty clear which side I stood on. I never got the chance to talk to Daz about it. I wonder if he feels the same way.

"What did he want?" I ask.

Caesar locks his phone and tosses it on the nightstand next to his bed. He settles into bed again without answering me. He grabs me and pulls me closer until I'm back on his chest. He closes his eyes like he's ready to fall back asleep, but I don't let him. I clear my throat and sit up. The time for sleeping is over.

Caesar's sighs as if I'm disturbing him. He keeps his eyes closed while he answers me.

"What you want me to say? I don't know, Candyce. I ain't answer," He says.

"I can see that, but why?" I ask.

"'Cause it's Daz," He says.

I cross my arms and wait for a real answer. Caesar peeks one eye open. He takes one look at the unwavering expression on my face and smacks his teeth.

"It's probably just a problem at the trap with Reese. He's 'posed to help him close up shop until we can find somebody to replace him."

"That sounds like he needs you, so again why didn't you call him back?" I ask.

"I don't appreciate you checking me 'bout another nigga in my own bed," He says.

I don't reward that with a response.

He could save the jealousy act. He may not know much about my relationship with Daz, Munch and Tory, but he knows enough to know that it's not like that between us. I think he still has his doubts about Tory, but so does half the girls at The Penthouse. Little did they know the only girl Tory had eyes for was right under their noses.