All Outta Options

Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Since he ignored all of my phone calls, I'm relieved when I find Simon in his bedroom. His door is open but I knock twice anyway to get his attention. His hands are deep in the sea of stolen items hidden away in his closet. Although it's pretty obvious that his stash has gotten significantly smaller than the first time I stumbled in on him. He peers over his shoulder at me but doesn't rush to close the closet door. He continues poking around on the top shelf until he finds what he's looking for. When he turns around I see a crumpled up Coach duffle in his hands.

"You spending the night somewhere?" I ask.

Si doesn't respond as he walks past me to sit at his computer desk. I watch him curiously as he starts to unfold the brown bag with C's printed all over the sides. He takes his time smoothing out all of the wrinkles before reaching into the desk drawer to reveal white wrapping paper. Carefully, he begins to roll the bag in the paper until it looks like the bag came from a store and not a closet.

Then it hits me.

"Si, are you boosting this shit?!" I ask.

"If that's what it looks like," He mutters.

Trying to wrap the bag as neatly as possible is taking up all his focus. I move from the door to the side of his desk in hopes of breaking his concentration. I fold my arms over my chest and lean in is face as close as I can get with the desk in my way.

"What the fuck, Simon?" I ask.

He gives up on the task at hand since I'm in his way. He leans back into the computer chair, finally looking me in the face. His curly hair is barely held together by the elastic band keeping it in the ponytail at the back of his head. His eyebrows are bushy and pushed up to his forehead. His eyes are wide and filled with annoyance. His hands dramatically fall to his lap as he let's out a deep sigh.

"What, Candyce?" He asks.

"What you mean 'what'? I asked if you was boosting this shit," I say.

"And I answered you."

"Who's the bag for?" I ask.

"A girl."

"What girl?"

"Candyce, I'm humoring you now but I don't have to answer to you, no," He says.

He scoots his chair back into position at the desk and I push it right back.

"Help me understand something. Are you a booster or a hustler now?" I ask.

Simon shrugs his shoulders, "Sound like the same thing to me."

I roll my eyes, "You know what the fuck I mean. All that weed you came in here with a few weeks ago. You selling that shit?"

"You questioned Ace like this?" Simon asks.