Good Product Sells Itself

Chapter 18

Chapter 18

By the time Chantal pulls her Jeep into her driveway, Max and Phor are already closing the doors to their own cars. I roll my eyes mentally at being the only one left to resort to Uber. I hop down from Chantal's Jeep after putting my phone on silent. Since I sent word to meet up at Chantal's place through our group message, Max and Phor have been texting nonstop. Granted, I haven't said more than two words in the group message for months now. So, I'm not allowing myself to get as aggravated by the consistent vibrating of my phone as I usually would. All in all, I know my girls just miss me.

"Is that my favorite bitch in all of Candyland?" Max says.

I roll my eyes playfully before grabbing her into a hug. Max stands a few inches above me in her white Air-Force 1s. I have to pluck strands of her red wig out of my mouth when she finally lets me go. I don't have much time to recover from the grip she had on me 'cause Phora is there next in her satin fitted dress and silver heels. Her hair is done up in a half-up, half-up down style, with loose curls hanging down her back.

After Phor is done telling me how much I've missed and how much she's missed me, Max starts to chastise me for playing them to the left. I listen and smile empathetically while they ramble on, but little did they know that this wasn't a social call. By the way they're both dressed in all white, with Max in biker shorts and a cropped tank, I feel the need to let them know.

"I hear y'all. I really do and I promise to be a better friend. But, I told y'all in the GM that I called y'all over here to talk," I say.

I look them both up and down, "So why are y'all dressed up?"

Max and Phor take a look at their outfits like they didn't know what they chose to put on this morning. Then, they give each other a once-over.

"First of all, I don't know why this hoe wearing all white after labor day. But I'm hosting an all white party at Club Luxe tonight. We should all go!" Phora exclaims.

Max rolls her eyes at Phor, then looks at me, "I just got off work and this the only thing I had in my car unless you wanted me to show up in my dance clothes."

I can hear the attitude dripping from every word as she talks. I'm not sure if it's directed towards me or Phor but I decide to let it go anyway. Maybe I was trippin'. I haven't hung around them since before Jonah died so the chances that I was mistaking Max's personality as attitude was highly likely.

I didn't even notice Chantal standing next to me until she starts swinging her car keys.

"Can we go inside?" She asks us.

If I thought Max had an attitude, I know for certain that Chantal really does have one. I've known Chantal since 5th grade, so I know all of her faces pretty well. The irritated look she now wore was a mix between her being tired and hot. I couldn't blame her though. One look at her fit and I can tell that she had no intention of leaving the house until I called. If that's not bad enough, she's the only one of us wearing olive green cargo pants and a tan long-sleeved jacket. I mean, I'm wearing black shorts and a black and orange flannel with my 1s but my shorts are pretty high so I'm not as hot as she must be.