Something To Call My Own

Chapter 23

Chapter 23

The October breeze sends a chill down my arms as I wait on the steps outside of my house. Just this morning it was hot as a sauna in July and now the chilly air serves as a reminder that the holidays are coming.

I'm tempted to go inside to grab a jacket but Caesar just texted that he was a minute away. He could be impatient at times and I'm in no mood to deal with his agression after spending hours dealing with Simon's. Caesar wasn't explicit in his reasoning for dragging me out the house at 8pm but I hope it's to deliver good news. I haven't heard any word back after I sent him off to clean up Simon's mess.

Soon as I say to hell with waiting in the cold, Caesar's grey Audi pulls into view. The headlights momentarily blind me as he settles into a parking spot next to the curb. I stand to brush off any lingering dirt. I walk over to him shivering. He opens the car door from the inside so I just slide into the seat. As I'm pulling the door closed, Caesar reaches into the backseat. He tosses his grey Nike jacket on my lap. It swallows me as I shove my skinny arms into the sleeves.

He refocuses his attention on pulling away from the curb. I wrap the jacket around me tighter, hoping his scent will stick onto me the way it does his jacket.

Drake's "After Dark" plays lowly as we cruise down the street. I wasn't expecting us to move away from the house but I'm not complaining. The Audi rides smoothly as we switch lanes to intersect onto the bridge. The view of the city's lights maximizes the moment.

"Did you figure out a way to help Simon?" I ask.

"It's already taken care of. Did you do what I asked you to?" He asks.

"Yeah. He didn't enjoy the trip down memory lane but I can't say I blame 'em."

"What you mean?" Caesar asks.

The turn signal flickers methodically in the background as I try to get my words together.

"I guess I never had time to dwell on the shit that's happened 'cause it's always one thing after another. Simon blames you and Ace for bringing me in but I know shit isn't as easy as he makes it seem," I say.

I stare out the window so I can see Caesar's reflection staring back at me through the glass.

"You blame me?" He asks.

I shake my head, "No. If Ace never dragged me along to Angel's house then you would have never felt comfortable pulling me into the game. I can't lie. Sometimes I do get mad about the way it all happened but everything happens for a reason, I guess."

My mind starts to replay the ultimatum Simon gave me. If I wasn't in a position to help, he would have turned back to the corner. At least now I can have a hand in my brother's safety.

"Simon wants a hand in our drug game. He's determined to pay you back. He won't listen to anything I have to say," I say.

Caesar struggles to watch for oncoming traffic as he tries to read my face.