The Rules

Chapter 4

Chapter 4

In the morning I'm pulled awake by the loud screaming match going on. At first I think it's Simon and Mama going at it again for Simon's shoplifting habit but when I flutter my eyes open, I'm not in my bed. In fact, I'm not in a bed at all. It takes me a second to register that the white walls and grey furniture are Caesar's. I sigh remembering all the bullshit that happened the day before.

"What the fuck you talking about Keyana? I never made us official," Caesar yells.

I jerk up. I peer over the sofa to see Caesar standing at the door. His body is blocking whoever's on the other side.

"Why you playing with me Caese? How you switch up all of a sudden? One minute you telling me you want me to have yo kids and the next you not letting me into yo house. The fuck is up?"

"Look, I need some space aight."

"For what?"

"Something came up. I got business to tend to," Caesar rubs the back of his neck.

"You said you was done with that shit in New York. What happened to you going back to school? Moving to Colorado? I didn't follow you down here to be toyed with. Did I?" The girl sounds like she's a step away from crying.

"Keyana, I love you," My heart stops beating hearing Caesar say the words, "But something from my past came up. I didn't plan it but I gotta see where it leads."

"Something from your past or someone from your past?" Keyana says.

Caesar doesn't answer.

"Call me when you figure out if you want to stay in this life or move forward with me. Goodbye, Caesar," The girl says.

Caesar stands at the door for awhile before closing the door. He leans his head against the door and presses his knuckles into the door. When he turns around, I duck below the seat and pretend that I'm sleeping. The conversation seemed private and as curious as I was about Caesar's relationship status, Keyana and Colorado, now isn't the time to ask.

I hear him shuffling around in the kitchen, opening and closing cabinets. The fridge hums when it's opened. I hear the clink of glass colliding against each other and then he makes his way over to me. I feel the weight shift on the sofa as he sits down. Now's the perfect time to act like he'd woken me up.

I flutter my eyes open and yawn. His eyes shift from thoughtful to amused as he looks down at me.

"Morning, Red," He says.

"Hey bighead," I smile.

I watch as he shovels a spoonful of Raisin Bran into his mouth. Once again, I wrinkle my nose at his choice of food.

"Good thing you up. We gotta' head down to your brother's loft to meet some people," Caesar says.

I sit up and stretch.