Legacy

Chapter 20

Chapter 20

When Caesar handed me the keys to my own room in The Loft, it felt like getting the keys to the city. No one that works in his crew got keys to the rooms, except me, Ace, Caesar and Cam. In a way, we were the pillars that kept this organization structured. Well, I was more of a pillar to my own success since my business ran parallel to Caesar's. He made it clear that I wasn't one of his soldiers so in an effort to show me that, he gave me keys to my own room. That way, I can handle business with Max and Phor without having to go around his men. 

Anybody that wanted safe passage into one of the apartments in The Loft had to get through the body guards posted outside the door. So, it was only right that I have my own doorman watching out for me.

Usually, the bodyguards were handpicked by Ace. But the young nigga crouched outside my door right now was chosen by the one and only. Caesar let me have my pick at the young soldiers who didn't exactly qualify to be a coke runner, or a hitman just yet. They were allowed access to the building as a stepping stone to those levels. Apparently, Ace used to ride around the city watching his corner boys to see who was ready to get into more action. So far, I only knew Rico, Mad Max, and my new bodyguard, Fredo, qualified. 

I ride the elevator up to the third floor. As I step off, I'm prepared to see Rico standing in front the entrance with an AK strapped to his chest. It catches me off-guard when a brown-skinned boy with a messy bush escorts me off the elevator instead. 

"Where's Rico?" I ask. 

"He ain't on the fourth floor?" The guy asks. 

He's staring at me intensely waiting on my answer. By the look in his eye, I can guess that if Rico wasn't where he was supposed to be, he was gonna' have to answer to Caesar.

"Oh right. I forgot Caesar said 'There's a Rico on every floor'," I say. 

The dude's face settles back into a poker face. He nods his head at my mistake as he guides me to what will now be my room. 

"I'm Vonte, by the way. I'm the lookout for Floor 3." 

"I'm Ca--" 

"I know who you is, Boss," Vonte interrupts. 

I bite the inside of my cheek to keep from smiling like an idiot at being called somebody's "boss". Once we reach the corner, we make a right and walk a little more. Soon, I can make out Fredo's tall frame standing outside my door. 

We approach the door and I watch as him and Fredo slap hands. Both of them carry military type guns in their hands so their handshake is kinda awkward. 

"You got somebody coming to see you today?" Vonte asks. 

"Yeah, two girls. One's a redhead and she should be coming with a dark-skinned chick." 

"Cool. I'll send 'em yo way. Nice to meet you, Candyce," Vonte says. 

"Nice to meet you too," I say as Vonte walks back to his post.