Amendments

Chapter 38

Chapter 38

A loud ding sounds around us. Next thing I know, we're stepping off an elevator.

I don't remember waking up. I don't remember how I got here. I don't even realize where 'here' is until we step out into the hallway.

As we walk down the long hallway, I start to recognize the blue and white doors for what they are: Apartments. Lofts.

I follow his lead and toss the black duffle over my shoulder.

"So where we going?" I ask.

Tory turns the key in the ignition.

"The Loft," He says, pulling away from the curb.

Somehow we made it here after all.

"Candyce?"

I look up as we approach a dark brown figure guarding one of the doors. My eyes are too blurry to tell who it is. My vision won't clear up until I blink my eyes and I won't do that 'cause it makes my face wet. So I just assume that it's Mad Max calling me.

If we're on the fourth floor of The Loft, then it should be Mad Max calling me. As we move closer, I see that it's not. It's actually Calvin. And the person guiding me forward isn't Tory. It's Caesar.

Instead of firing more warning shots into the air, Guiterrez has turned the gun on Tory. I step outside of my body as I watch Tory's body jump around in the car as a reaction to the bullets ripping through him.

Right.

That's why my face is so wet. Tears slide down my cheeks like they've been waiting forever to make their escape.

Me crying, plus the blood on my clothes must freak Calvin out. He holds up a hand to stop us from moving further.

"Hold up. What the fuck happened?" He asks.

"She good bruh. Open the door," Caesar says.

"You good?" Calvin asks.

I don't answer. He tries to bend down and look in my face for an answer.

"Say!" Caesar yells.

Calvin ignores him. He glances down at my blood-soaked shirt.

"It wasn't Simon, huh?" He asks.

"Aye! What the fuck I just say, nigga?"

Calvin straightens up and looks at Caesar.

"My bad," He says.

"I know it is. I don't pay you to be nosey, nigga. Stop playin' 21 questions and open the fuckin' door," Caesar says.

Calvin nods his head. He moves the semiautomatic to his other hand while he unlocks the door.