Chapter Four

The bell sounded and the students swiftly packed their belongings away, standing and then striding to the door, all of them attempting to avoid gaining more homework than they already had. A few of the students mumbled pleasantries to Miss Mills as they shuffled passed, some just blandly ignoring her and others who just gave quaint little smiles. 

Ruby and Belle waited for Emma by the door, giving each other confused looks as they peered at their blond friend who sat still, unmoving as if she was frozen or a solid statue, neither knew what to say and it wasn't until the entire class was empty beside Emma who sat at her desk staring blankly at the wall, the two brunettes baffled by their friend's unusual behavior and the teacher who noted all of her students strange behavior that someone finally made an attempt to bring Emma back to reality.

"Girls, Why don't you go to lunch and I shall send Miss Swan on her way soon." Miss Mills announced to Ruby and Belle, they both nodded before hastily making their exit to enjoy lunch. Miss Mills noted that Belle lingered longer as if wanting to argue but having far too much respect for her teachers to do so.

Miss Mills politely sauntered over to Emma until she blocked the view that Emma was staring at, she gently picked the paper from Emma's unmoving grasp and saw no writing, no thoughts, or notes and knew that this wasn't Emma being straight up disobedient this was her being shocked from something that had clearly been eating Emma up for a while.

"Emma, what's going on dear?" Miss Mills finally spoke softly, so soft, unlike anyone whose ever spoken to Emma and she at long last looked up, her pure emerald eyes lost in thought and dazed as though she was trapped. Emma didn't speak, she gasped for air, fumbling and gulping as if starved for oxygen, her body began to shake uncontrollably as she sobbed, for the first time in years she cried, and Emma didn't know how to stop. The tears hysterically streamed down  Emma cheeks fast and violently and she finally moved, her hands yanking to stop and prevent her eyes screaming out there new found vulnerability. Emma abruptly stood up and moved away from Miss Mills and her soft gentle voice, she needed to run, escape its what she did best. She moved hurriedly, scurrying past the wooden desks. As she neared the door, she was pulled at her wrist to a stop and two warm gentle hands fell kindly on Emma's wet tear dropped face. Big brown eyes deeply stared into Shiny green eyes and Emma felt as if she was being sucked in and all means of escape just forgotten from her mind.

"Speak to me, Emma" Miss Mills whispered into the small space between their faces.

"I'm so tired and angry and sad and frustrated.. I'm trying to escape it, the thing I know I am deep deep down, just a lost little girl who knows she doesn't matter and she never will and I'm so.. tired" Emma howled thunderously.

Miss Mills moved her hand to cup behind Emma's head, gently grasping her thick Blond curls and pulling Emma's head to rest on her shoulder. Emma continued to sob while Miss Mills held Emma's head delicately on her shoulder, her other hand moved till rub Emma's back in a soothing manner until Emma began to quieten.

A few minutes passed in silence, apart from the occasional sob that fell from Emma's parted lips.

"You must feel incredibly lonely at times" Miss Mills spoke calmly. And then it struck Emma that the last person she would want to know about her vulnerability knew and she suddenly felt naked and self conscious. So Emma yanked back, spinning on her heel and leaving.

She repeatedly mumbled I can't do this, and then ran down the hallway, sprinting past the crowded groups that filled along the lockers all the way to the school parking lot. 

She continued to sprint and sprint and sprint until finally she arrived home, she slammed the door shut, scrambled upstairs and laid her back against the door flat. she heard the thunderous screech of Ingrid and a small prick of fear hit her heart as she also noticed the booming voice of Ingrid's boyfriend.