Chapter Nine

The light from the teacher's kitchen continued to shine in Emma's brightened green eyes. Emma felt like she was invading Regina's privacy but was in controversial thinking because her eyes indignantly craved the beautiful form and essence that was Regina Mills and sought her out. It was only when the light finally went out that Emma looked away, taking a deep breath. She hadn't ever felt a burning desire so strong for someone before and with that newfound feeling she felt her self lost in her own thoughts more than usual.

"Emma, sweetie are you coming inside?" Mary-Margaret queried, popping her head outside, to see if Emma was still there.

"Yeah sure MM." Emma smiled finally looking away from Regina's house and walking to Mary-Margaret, as she walked past her new foster parent she noticed the wide grin on her face from the accidental nickname Emma had given her.

"I was thinking that tomorrow me and you could go to the shopping mall, get to know one another better and we can pick you a few things up, would that be okay with you?" Mary-Margaret hummed kindly, following Emma through the house.

"Yeah sure, I'm gonna go to bed now, if that's okay?" Emma smiled.

"Of course Emma, this is your home. You don't need to ask to do anything." Mary-Margaret informed, sounding completely sincere and Emma didn't detect one ounce of a lie from this woman whatsoever.

Emma smiled in return, not knowing how to reply to the woman's admission, and instead focused on going upstairs to bed. Once in her room, she dropped onto the bed, completely exhausted. The day had felt like it would never end and admittedly Emma felt the safest she had ever felt in her life and knew she'd be able to go to sleep without fearing any violently woken outbursts of Ingrid and her boyfriend.

As Emma laid upon her bed, she glanced around her bedroom, it was clean and by far the most biggest room she had ever had in her life, it was ridiculously big. The white room made the room light even in the darkness that Emma laid in, her bed was new as Emma realized, smelling it and the finding freshness. Emma smiled, a genuine smile on her face, she felt complete but deep down sorrow arose in her pit of her stomach, she doubted this couple, no matter how nice, would want her for long. Sooner or later she would screw it up.

Sleep came easy for the first time in years for Emma, and she dreamed peacefully until the darkness creeped in and hands were wrapped around her throat, heavy hands thudding at her body and violent words hatefully spat in Emma's ears.

The screaming began, it was loud and frightfully painful awakening the couple and presumably the neighbors, Mary-Margaret and David hurriedly rushed to Emma's bedroom sprinting among the hall and barging in to the room to a panicked, fretful Emma kicking and screaming in her bed, caught within the sheets.

Cold hands landed petitely on her face, and two soft voices spoke soothing words. Until Emma's sobs subsided and Emma opened her eyes, she was met with two concerned faces, the worry upon their faces was prominent and Mary-Margaret had unshed tears forming in her doe eyes.

Emma looked down, not really knowing what to say but surprisingly enjoying the physical comfort she was receiving. A soft masculine hand kindly lifted Emma's chin.

"It's okay Emma, we're here. I won't let anyone hurt you." David hummed reassuringly, his thumb stroking Emma's face.

No more words were exchanged, however the couple tucked Emma in her bed, despite feeling more child like than ever Emma allowed them to do this. The couple then sat either side of Emma until she at long last fell asleep without anymore frightening memories resurfacing that night.

The birds outside in the tree above Emma's window chirped loudly, introducing to everyone that it was morning. Light beams shined through Emma's curtains and fell on her face, finally waking her up. Emma dazedly got out of bed and looked at the clock beside her bed, it was 7:30am. Emma quietly showered, cleansing away her previous nightmare as the water rapidly fell upon her body, and then she dressed enjoying her new morning routine with personal space that she had never been given before, even though she was intensely missing Henry she somehow felt the best she had in years. This brought a downfall of guilt to Emma.