Chapter Eighteen

It was a strange sight, for Emma to see. Surrounded by familiar people yet the circumstances so unfamiliar and foreign. Emma willed for the time to go quicker, regularly checking the Grandfather clock that ticked away tauntingly at her. Emma avoided eye contact with everyone at the table, she hardly payed attention to the blabbering of words that were idly being communicated to one another.

Emma couldn't help and she took a small glance at the woman beside her. Immediately she felt air rush from her lungs the overwhelming curse of Regina's beauty setting her body on fire. Emma gulped and once again stared at the clock. Faster go faster, she repeatedly chanted in her head.

"Emma.. Em." Everyone turned to look at the unusually quiet girl who was burning holes in the clock with her eyes. "Earth to Emma." MM's voice grew louder.

It was only when Ruby harshly kicked Emma with her own foot that Emma broke out her trance and looked around that she noticed every pair of curious eyes on her.

"WH- What?" Emma stuttered, her cheeks flushing a light pink with embarrassment.

"I was telling Regina that you've been doing really well in your lessons. Thanks to her tutoring." MM revealed.

Before Emma had time to reply, Regina's crisp velvety choice broke in, "Nonsense it's Emma's hard work, resilience and continued effort that's paid off."

Despite herself, Emma felt a small tug at her lips. Something about the teacher talking about her made her heart swell and though she still didn't no whether to push Regina away or push her to the wall and kiss her, Emma had to admit that she missed their easy conversation and the way Regina made her feel like she could do anything.

"Ah forever humble." MM smiled at Regina's words, her heart filled with pride in a way only a Mother could feel.

MM stood up now. they had all exchanged pleasantries, she looked at Emma, well most of them had. Quickly excusing herself MM strolled to the kitchen, she held a slightly perplexed look on her face, she was beyond confused at Emma's strange behaviour, so confused she hadn't noticed David coming behind her, until he held her narrow hips in his hand and kissed her cheek.

"What are you thinking about?" David spoke in a way that was so soft, it was more of a whisper.

MM sighed, "Emma is acting strangely don't you think?"

"She is."

MM turned around, still remaining in between David's arms and the kitchen side. 

"And what should we do David?" MM questioned, her husband had always provided her with answers and solutions.

He shook his head, "Nothing, we do nothing."

MM frowned, she didn't know how to do nothing, so she tilted her head in confusion.

"Emma is a teenager, she's probably embarrassed that she's having tea with her teacher." David laughed, MM was clearly clueless in regards to how embarrassing the situation in the living room must be for Emma.

MM didn't understand at first, she was a teacher herself, what could be embarrassing about that? Then she laughed along with David.

"Oh right." MM smiled, giving David a lingering kiss before she moved away and to the oven to pull out the large roasted turkey that sat crisping.

Emma huffed rather loudly in the silence that had ascended upon the remining three after David and MM had swiftly existed the room. Ruby glanced back and forth between the pair opposite her, Emma sat her posture slouched and awkward, as if she was making herself so small in hopes that no one would notice her. And Regina, Ruby peered at her, she was the opposite of Emma, her back was rim rod straight, her shoulder wide and strong as if she was in a bull fighter.