Prologue

PROLOGUE

Mishti Singhania blinked back tears as she ran down the corridor to reach the gardens. The night air was crisp, welcoming and in desperation, she ran into the darkened gardens.

Once hidden from view, She exhaled deeply and slowed her pace. She was finally safe. Her mother would certainly be angry at her cowardice, but nothing could have kept Mishti from fleeing the scene of her latest embarrasment.

Mishti (thinking) : I should never have thought that things would be different.

She plopped herself down on one of the benches there and tried to stop thinking of it again and again.

She was Mishti Rhea Singhania, The second child and eldest daughter of the late Naitik Singhania, the managing partner of the hugely successful law firm, Singhania and Singhania Firms. Her elder brother who was just 26 was the other name partner in the firm . Their family was very well known and they were number 12 in the Rajkot Elite.

So, By all means, she should have been the darling of the society coveted by one and all. But no, the truth was that Mishti had spent the past hour being ignored by her fellow peers. She was considered too much of a nerd and a bluestocking for people to have any interest in what she had to say.

She had not been asked to dance, No one even wished to converse or gossip with her. They smiled at her politely and then completely ignored her. Mishti was very dejected.

Mishti (thinking) : What's the use of being a member in the Rajkot Elite if they don't acknowledge you? What's the use of having all this money and prestige?

She sighed. She looked at the dress she wore. It was shocking pink and looked absolutely terrible on her. But she remembered her mother's words : The Elite are always bright, cheerful and pink defines that colour. Mishti. You will wear this dress and show everyone that you are someone who belongs in High Class Society.

The dress, her mother had assured her, was the very height of fashion. When Mishti had suggested that the dress was not the most flattering to her figure, she had been informed by the woman that she was incorrect. Mishti would look stunning, her mother had promised. And, as she watched herself in the dress that day, she had begun to agree with her. She did look stunning in this dress. Stunningly awful.

Wrapping her arms tightly around her to ward of the evening chill, she closed her eyes in mortification.

Mishti : I'm never going back over there.

A deep chuckle resonated in her ears and she whirled around to see where it had orginated. She could barely make out the figure of a man as she pulled herself up to her full height and attempted to slow her pounding heart. Before she could think to escape, she spoke, allowing her distaste for the entire evening to show in her tone.

Mishti : You shouldn't sneak up on people in the dark.

The male voice let out another chuckle, but he responded quickly.

Voice : I'm sorry. But maybe you shouldn't lurk around in dark gardens.

Mishti : But I'm not lurking around in the dark. I'm merely hiding.

Voice : Oh! Don't worry. I won't tell anyone about you. But you may as well come to the light. No one else is here.

Mishti knew he was right. What would be the harm in showing herself to him? Surely nothing else could go wrong.

She stepped forward until she reached where he was and stood under the lamp post. Then she saw him and knew she was wrong. Everything was about to turn much, much worse.