Chapter 18

Wow... I saw the conversation in the previous chapter and I was really intrigued.. now I understand how you guys feel about the characters and don't worry.. there is still a long way to go with major confrontation scenes coming up.

Before beginning the chapter, I wanted to clarify certain things. I know Mishti has been forgiving Abir or at least not taking what he said about her and not thinking about it. She has not done so because she has very little confidence in herself. She has always been thought of as plain and unassuming. No one in the Elite has ever thought seriously about her, her aunt was mean to her etc etc. She does not think Abir is telling anything new. She is not being submissive. She is being herself, the way she has always been.  Besides, she can speak out loud.. She defended Anya. She tells him what is right and wrong with other people. She doesn't stand up for herself and that is wrong. I agree. She will learn to stand up for herself. Essentially though, Mishti is a soft-hearted girl who has had a fantasy of abir and is so unable to come to terms with the real one. Fight or flight? She chooses flight.

But yes, Abir was unspeakably rude to her and he will learn to apologize. Both their characters are different and they will change slowly for the better. Also, I wanted to talk about the title of the story. Tempting Mr Rajvansh doesn't mean that Abir is tempting (I mean, he is) but this title was more to show that he is getting tempted by Mishti. 

So yeah, I just wanted to clarify these things. For a change, here is Abir's POV. 

"Apologies are not meant to change the past, they are meant to change the future"
- Kevin Hancock

CHAPTER 18

Later, Abir sat in his room playing the piano to help him forget. The notes came fast and furious, his fingers flying across the keys as he closed his eyes and waited for the music to drive Mishti from his mind. It's always been you.

The tone varied, fast and slow, angry and sad, as though giving the perfect background score as Mishti's pained, wounded face appeared in his mind just before she left.

It's always been you.

But she hadn't left. She had escaped. From him.

I just wish it were anyone else.

Abir's fingers pressed on the keys as he stopped and swore, the thunderous noise from the instrument drowning his own.

Her cool response to him—so very deserved—had nevertheless left him consumed with a desire to possess her. To brand her his own.

The truth in her eyes..... It haunted him.

He shook his head, as if he could clear it of her memory. What was it about this woman? This unassuming woman whom he had never before noticed? There was nothing about her that was plain or unassuming now.

He hated himself for thinking about her as such.

He recalled Natasha referring to her as passably pretty and he wondered at the words. Mishti was not simply passably pretty, she was not just exotic.

He had no more words to describe her. The strength with which she faced him, the straightforward approach of hers-- She was not just the living image of her name. She was a Goddess.

And he wanted her now with a ferociousness that surprised him. Not just in his arms or his bed, he wanted her in his life.

Of course, he could not have her.

Arjun had been right! Mishti wanted love.

Abir had known that from the very beginning—she didn't hide her belief in the power of the emotion, her unwavering faith in it. He paused in his playing, wondering what it would feel like to believe so strongly in the power of love to do good. To bring happiness.