Chapter 32

THIS CHAPTER IS FROM MISHTI'S POV. THE NEXT CHAPTER WILL FEATURE ABIR'S REACTION AND HIS DECISION

HOPE YOU ALL LIKE IT!! PLEASE DO SHARE YOUR VIEWS. 

"The hardest part is implementing the decision, not making it" 
- Google

CHAPTER 32

Mishti sat in the corner, trying to look inconspicuous as she observed the few people who were enjoying an early morning date with a cup of coffee. She saw a girl place her head on her boyfriend's shoulder as they whispered sweet nothings in each other's ears. Another couple was trying to feed each other a bite of their sandwich. It seemed like love was in the air.

Well, Around the air for everyone else but her, apparently.

She turned to the other side and found Abir standing outside the beverage outlet staring at her. Seeing that she had noticed him, he came inside and took a seat opposite her. She could see that he hadn't slept the entire night either and she nodded softly.

Mishti : Good morning Abir!

Abir : Mishti! I..

Mishti : I have lots to tell you and I have no idea how I'm going to get through it. So, I need you to let me complete it, Please. Once I tell you everything, you can ask what you want. Please?

Abir nodded his head slowly and Mishti took a deep breath. She studied him and noticed that he too was doing the same with her. It was as though they were trying to gauge the cause of the distance between them. Mishti felt the urge to scream.

Never had she thought she would associate the word awkward for the relation between them. At first, it was non-existent, then it had become complicated, friendly, sexual and even emotional. But she had never felt awkward around him. Yet today, she felt both distant and awkward around him.

Abir : Mishti?

Mishti blinked, snapping out of her reverie to look at Abir.

Mishti : It was the happiest morning of my life yesterday. You know I was so happy that I even tried to cook something even after the disaster at your place. Of course it turned out bad and Kuhu and Naksh teased me for it saying that Abir would be horrified to know that he was going to marry a woman who didn't know how to make a simple kheer. But I knew that you wouldn't mind. You didn't care if I could cook or not and I knew that you would teach me if I asked you to.

Abir smiled and reached out his hand as though he wanted to hold hers, but drew back at the last minute, the faint brightness in his tired eyes dimming. Mishti continued, looking at his hands.

Mishti : Later, In the evening, after coming home, I felt like splitting my head into two parts. I was so conflicted, so confused about this wager. Surely my Abir couldn't have been that inconsiderate of my feelings? How could he have placed a price on a human being? That sort of thing only happens in hindi soap operas, right? You know, those shows where the hero asks the villain what she's worth so that he can prove a point? But your face gave it all away. You had placed a wager on me, Abir. For forty lakhs, You had agreed to a bet.

Abir opened his mouth, but closed it again. Mishti saw that he couldn't even meet her eyes and reached out her hand to hold his cheek. She watched his shocked expression and almost smiled.

Mishti : You know, of all the questions that were swarming through me at that time, one of the wierder ones was that whether forty lakhs was a good price or not? Whether I should be insulted that I'm worth only this much or be stunned that I'm worth that much money. You'll have to answer that one later. Why did you agree to such a wager, Abir? What if the wager had been about Anya, Wouldn't you have wanted to kill Jai Khanna?