Chapter 8

"Whiskey is liquid sunshine"
- George Bernard Shaw

CHAPTER 8

Mishti : Jasmeet Aunty! Please help me?

Mishti put on a pleading face and looked hopefully at her closest confidant who stared back at her dubiously.

Jasmeet : Are you mad? Not only would your mother kill me, you cannot possible imagine I'll send you to a common pub? You belong to the Elite, Don't forget that, Mishti.

Mishti gave a desperate look.

Mishti : Please, Jasmeet aunty? Do you think I would honestly allow myself to be caught? I will be careful. Please? I have been a stickler for rules since my birth and I don't like it anymore. Don't I deserve to have fun?

The older woman paused to consider Mishti's words, then heaved a resigned sigh.

Jasmeet : This list is going to kill both of us.

Mishti smiled widely and gave her aunt a huge hug.

Mishti : You're the best, Jasmeet aunty. Thank you so much.

Jasmeet : Saying thank you won't be enough if your brother and mother find out. You shall have to save me my job.

Mishti : That goes without saying. Besides, Naksh wouldn't dare fire you.

Jasmeet : For helping you with all this, He might. By the way, Mishti, Make sure you're completely covered. Don't go to any dark corners alone. Don't talk to anyone. Maybe I should send Nannu with you?

Nannu was her son who was studying for his CAT exam which he would take in two months' time.

Mishti : No aunty. Let him study. I shall be fine.

Jasmeet : What about the driver then? It's not safe to go alone.

Mishti turned around looking at Jasmeet aunty with some urgency.

Mishti : No Jasmeet aunty. No one else can know I've stepped out of the house.

Jasmeet paused, considering her next move. Finally she nodded, excused herself and soon returned with a dress that wasn't too fancy or too expensive.

Mishti : Why this one?

Jasmeet : If you don't want anyone to know you don't belong to the Elite, You shouldn't wear your clothes. They're too rich and draw attention.

Mishti nodded happily and looked at the dress with such ecstacy that Jasmeet chuckled.

Jasmeet : Usually people look happy when they get to wear rich clothes, Mishti, not the common ones.

Mishti : That's because people can't see what this dress really means.

Jasmeet : And what does it mean?

Mishti : Freedom.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once Jasmeet aunty was gone, Mishti changed into the dress that she had received as she swayed to the music that was still playing downstairs.

There was little question that this was the greatest night of her life. It wasn't just the dance with Abir—although that certainly was a factor—or the rather scandalous interaction with him in the midst of the festivities, where anyone could have found them. It was that, for the first time in her life, she had been filled with an undeniable strength—as though she could do anything.