Chapter 3

"The way you feel when you kiss him for the first time. 
Like fire within your bones.
Like your soul has returned to the water.

Like every part of you that came
from a dead star

is alive again."
- Nikita Gill

CHAPTER 3

Mishti watched as the cab she had hired started leaving her stranded near her destination. She looked at the building behind her and then she looked at the deserted road and her heart pounded.

Mishti : You are so stupid. Who asked you to drink so much? Are you actually standing here in front of his house?

Had she abstained from drinking, she would most definitely not be standing here, alone, in front of the home of one of Rajkot's Elite, in the middle of the night. What had she been thinking?

Clearly, she hadn't been thinking—at all. Just because she had been insane enough to fall in love with a man she had spoken to once, it did not mean she was justified in coming here. Furthermore, she had not spoken to him in all these eight years other than one Thank you 3 years ago and Excuse me 7 months back. 

Mishti sighed. She was pathetic.

For a fleeting moment, she considered turning back to the street and hailing the next rickshaw or cab that passed through. She could have called her brother, but she knew that she would be severely chastised, Not to mention being looked upon like a child.

No, Mishti had started her adventure and finish it, She will.

She squared her shoulders and approached the imposing entrance of Rajvansh Mansion. She had barely rung the bell when the large door swung open, revealing an aged servant who seemed not at all surprised to find a young woman standing outside his master's home. Stepping aside, he allowed her to enter, closing the door behind her as she took in the warm, inviting entryway to the long-established home of the Rajvansh Family.

Mishti : Umm... Hello?

Servant : Yes?

Mishti pulled down the scarf she was using as a veil to let him see her better.

Mishti : I wish to see Mr Rajvansh.

Servant : Of course Madam. Please follow me upstairs.

Mishti furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. The servant was taking a guest to the bedrooms? Then realisation dawned.

Mishti : I'm sorry, But I'm not a..

Servant : Of course not, Madam. Come, Please follow me.

Mishti : Upstairs?

Servant : Yes, That's where Abir Sir is.

Abir Sir?

She had to escape.

Unless...

No. She quashed the little voice. No unless. Her reputation was hanging by a thread. She'd be safer hailing a cab by herself on the dark streets than following this ancient guy to Lord knew where.

To Abir's room.

Mishti nearly choked at the thought. She would never drink again.

Servant : Madam?

This was her chance. Misguided or not, this was what she had hoped for when she'd sneaked from the house and taken a cab. She'd wanted to see Abir—to prove that she had the courage for adventure. And here she was, her objective squarely within reach.