Chapter 13

"A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; It is the prerogative of being brave"
- Mahatma Gandhi

CHAPTER 13

Abir looked at the beautiful woman who stood in front of him and could feel nothing but distaste.

Abir : Why did you call me here Natasha?

Natasha smiled seductively and kept a palm on his shoulder. When he shrugged it away, she pouted.

Natasha : I knew you would come. After all, You, and I... We are magic.

Abir snorted.

Abir : I don't know if you realise but your performance is over. This is real life.

Natasha's eyes flashed and Abir remembered how just a short while ago, those eyes had pleased him. Her glints had always been charming to him, until now. He found it extremely tacky.

Abir : I said we are done. Forever. Do not attempt to contact me again.

He shrugged off her hand from his person and caught the quiet look of anger that passed through her before becoming calm and patronising again.

Natasha : It's because of that girl, Isn't it? The one who was sitting with you?

Abir's voice became ice-cold as he glared at her.

Abir : That girl is my sister. I will not have you....

Natasha (dismissively) : I did not mean your sister. I recognised her immediately. She's gorgeous, just like you are. I am talking about the one sitting next to you. The passably pretty one, the one who seems so unsure of herself. The one who in fact... Who acts like a mouse.

Abir : NATASHA!

Natasha : I don't know why you would want her. Except for the fact that she must be filthy rich of course. Is that it?

Abir : Jealous?

Natasha (chuckling) : Of course not. She is nothing like me.

A vision of Mishti came unbidden, all heated words and angry looks and heightened emotion. Mishti, who had chased him down in public, for God's sake, without a care in the world for how it might be perceived, simply to serve him a scathing set down. Mishti, who was so very alive and changing and unpredictable—and so very much the opposite of the cold and untouchable Natasha.

One side of his mouth lifted in a wry smile.

Abir : You're so right, Natasha. She is nothing like you.

Hearing the thinly veiled insult behind his word, Natasha frowned and glared at him.

Natasha : You really want that mouse over me?

Abir : This is the second time you've called her a mouse. You better mind your business and your words Natasha. She is a member of the Elite. You do not want to make her an enemy.

Realising the truth in his words, Natasha acknowledged them with a graceful smile and turning away from him. Abir accepted her surrender with a nod and made to turn away when her voice stopped him.

Natasha : You will hurt her, You know.

Abir : What do you mean?

Natasha : She is nothing like you and me. She is not jaded. She will want love. And if you pursue her, You will break her heart.

Abir (turning around and catching her eye in the mirror) : I don't know what she wants or believes in. I only know that she is helping my sister out and is her friend.