Chapter 31

"You can't follow your heart when it is more confusing than your head"

- Google

CHAPTER 31

Abir wanted to go to Mishti's house immediately. He ran out of the Bannerjees' place to get his car and reach her before she went home but a firm hand stopped him. He turned around to see Anya frowning at him.

Abir : I need to go to her. I need to explain.

Anya : All she hears now is that you wagered on her and doubled it the day you asked her to marry you. What do you think calls for an explanation here? Do you really think she is ready to listen to anything you say?

Abir : But..

Anya : Give her some time. She needs to process things and you need to understand her hurt, her grief. She loves you and you broke her. She deserves some space.

Abir : If I don't go immediately, she might think I don't care.

Anya : Go tomorrow morning. Try calling her or texting her but don't go tonight. She made the decision to go away from you. When she's ready, she will come talk to you.

Abir looked at the door through which Mishti had disappeared.

Abir : I'm sorry Mishti. Why do I always end up hurting you?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mishti sank down to her knees after banging her door shut. She finally let her tears fall. Though Kuhu and Kunal had tried to console her the entire way home, She had ignored them and waited until she got home to let her tears fall.

She was so confused. How could Abir do this? Did she mean nothing more than a wager? It didn't make sense. How could he be so caring if all he wanted was to win a bet?

And yet, he hadn't denied it.

And why should she not believe it? Abir Rajvansh would not have thought twice about using her for his personal gain. Hadn't he done so? From the very beginning? He'd bargained his kisses for her support of his sister. Why wouldn't he play with her feelings for a bet that would ultimately affect his reputation?

She looked around the room and saw her romantic novels lying down on the floor where she had kept them earlier in the evening to read and think about her own happy love story. In the eight years that she had loved Abir, she had imagined him to be similar to many characters - Quiet and aloof Mr Darcy from Pride and Prejudice, the sad and suffering Edmond Dantes from the Count of Monte Cristo, powerful and passionate like Mark Antony . But none of that was true. Abir was someone different. Someone real, or so it seemed.

Mishti : Anya and Forty lakhs? Is that why we spent all this time together, Abir?

Forty lakhs? Abir didn't even need that money. He was a millionaire. What would a few lakhs be of use to him? Mishti chuckled. She didn't know if that was worse or better?

Mishti stood up and began removing her jewelry slowly. A flutter made her look at the mirror and she stared at her list on the table behind her. She picked it up, her list that had somehow become hers and Abir's. The list which she had created in order to change her life and it had indeed worked.

But it wasn't due to the list that she had changed. It was because of Abir. She thought of the happiness she had felt just a few hours ago, the confidence that had coursed through her as she spoke to her acquaintances, the sparkle in her, as Abir called it.