Chapter 14

"Creativity is the essence of fencing"
- Charles Allen

CHAPTER 14

Mishti : You really think that baggy coat will be enough?

Jasmeet aunty just glared at her and refused to answer.

Mishti (sighing) : Please, Jasmeet aunty. You know I can't do this without you.

Jasmeet : You shouldn't be doing this at all.

Mishti : I just want to try fencing. It's not fair that the only club which offers it doesn't allow women. Who says women can't fence anyways?

Jasmeet : The club does. Mishti, This is taking adventure a bit far, You know.

Mishti looked at herself in the mirror and bit her lip. Her hair was done in a bun and she had on a men's wig. Her breasts were bound tightly by crepe bandage, which hurt like hell but she knew she could endure it. To make sure no one could find out she was indeed a girl, She wore baggy full sleeved shirt and her brother's trousers which Jasmeet aunty had altered to make it fit her.

She looked different but was it enough? Was she going to try this?

Mishti : I have to do this, Jasmeet aunty. Now tell me, Do I look like an Elite?

Jasmeet aunty actually snorted and Mishti rolled her eyes.

Mishti : Fine. Do I look like a boy then?

Jasmeet : A girly boy maybe. But...

Mishti (apprehensively) : What?

Jasmeet : Your hands. They are too dainty. And filled with nail polish. I would love to see you explain that to the guard.

Mishti looked at her hands in horror. What a colossal mistake! She sat down and began to remove the nail polish at once.

Kuhu (opening the door) : Mishti! Are you busy? I thought... AHH, Who are you?

Mishti looked at her sister and seeing Kuhu about to scream, Both Jasmeet aunty and she ran and brought Kuhu inside. Mishti locked the door firmly.

Kuhu : Who are you? And what have you done with my sister?

Mishti took a moment to smile satisfactorily. Her own sister didn't recognise her.

Kuhu (fiercely) : Answer me, YOU KNUCKLEHEAD!

Mishti (taken aback) : Knucklehead? Who uses that word nowadays?

Kuhu looked at her flabbergasted, then blinked like she couldn't believe what she was seeing.

Kuhu : Mishti?

Mishti smiled smugly and nodded. Kuhu could not contain her curiosity.

Kuhu : Why are you dressed like a man? Whose trousers are those? How did you cover your....

She just gestured towards Mishti's chest region and took a deep breath.

Mishti : To answer your questions chronologically, I am going to go to the fencing club. These are Naksh's old trousers which Jasmeet aunty altered for me and I bound my breasts with crepe bandage.

Kuhu winced at the last answer but then her eyes twinkled.

Kuhu : Why are you going to the fencing club?

Mishti looked at Jasmeet aunty but then sighed and looked at her sister.

Mishti : Can you keep a secret?

Kuhu : Of course! I love secrets. Now tell me.

Mishti : Some weeks ago, I compiled a list of items that I considered adventurous. Items that may damage my reputation.