Chapter 27

"Many receive advice. Only the wise profit from it"
- Harper Lee

CHAPTER 27

Perhaps she had made a mistake. Perhaps she could have loved him enough for both of them. But could she survive a lifetime of knowing that he never really wanted her? That he had proposed simply because it was the thing to do? That, left to his own devices, he would have found someone infinitely more worldly? Infinitely more beautiful? Infinitely...more?

No. She couldn't bear it. Refusing him had been her only option.

Mishti : What are you to do, Mishti?

Anya : Mishti?

The whisper, barely a sound, came from the doorway and Mishti snapped her head around to face Anya, who was peering through the dim light to confirm that the woman in the darkness was, indeed, her friend.

Mishti : Anya! You should be inside.

Anya : Yeah, Well! I have been doing what's expected of me the whole night. Now, I just want to sit with you.

Mishti smiled and gestured her to sit in the nearby chair. Anya sat down and looked out the window.

Anya : Looks like you needed some time alone. I did too.

Mishti blinked, focusing on Anya's face, registering her brown eyes, rounded and...hurt? Mishti pushed her own sadness aside, and placed a hand on Anya's elbow.

Mishti : What happened?

Anya waved one hand with what Mishti knew was feigned dismissiveness.

Anya : I wandered away from the celebration and found you.

Mishti's look softened.

Mishti : Anya, you cannot allow them to upset you.

Anya's lips twisted wryly.

Anya : I am not upset. I find myself eager to show them what I am capable of.

Mishti smiled at the younger girl,

Mishti : Yes! That is how you must face them. Proud, and strong, and wonderfully you. They shall not be able to resist you. I guarantee it!

Anya's face shadowed for a moment—so fleeting that Mishti almost missed it.

Anya : Some shall never like me, it seems.

Mishti : The Elite aren't known for their adaptability. But don't worry, you'll find there are all sorts of families within us as well.

Anya nodded and sighed.

Anya : Can I tell you something?

Mishti : Of course.

Anya : It's only the beginning of October, I know. But I've made up my mind. I'm going to stay in India, here in Rajkot, with my brothers.

Mishti : Oh my goodness! THAT'S WONDERFUL. I'm so thrilled. When did you decide this?

Anya : Just about fifteen minutes ago.

Mishti : Here?

No one could have mistaken the skeptical note in Mishti's voice and Anya chuckled.

Anya : Yes. I have decided I cannot allow all the stupide persone in the Elite to drive me away. I shall stay with them, live amongst them and belong here.

Mishti hugged Anya tightly and kissed her cheek.

Mishti : That's amazing news, Anya. And your brothers, Anya...they shall be thrilled.