Chapter 20

"Of all the hardships a person had to face, none was more punishing than the simple act of waiting"
- Khaled Hosseini

CHAPTER 20

That night, Mishti sat fully dressed in her room, waiting for everyone to go to sleep. She was so restless she could have murdered someone. The whole afternoon after Abir had been one hurdle after another. Evading Jai Khanna's beaming smiles and his boasting, Mishti had turned her attention to Kuhu, who constantly kept looking at Kunal with adoring eyes. By the end of the day, Mishti could have murdered her, Kunal and Jai and been happy about it.

Her mood hadn't improved upon returning home where her mother had ranted on and on about the wedding preparations until Mishti had pleaded a headache and escaped to her room. Now she paced the little room, going quietly mad in captivity.

She turned to the clock in the corner of the room, checking the time once more. It was only nine. She sighed, throwing herself onto the bench near the window that boasted a view of the Singhania Gardens.

Her thoughts turned to Abir. If only he hadn't apologised for kissing her. She hadn't known he regretted kissing her. She thought he felt the same way as her, at least while they kissed. But, apparently not. He had apologised within two minutes of kissing her.

Yes, she deserved an apology. Yes, he had been rude to her. Yes, he had acknowledged that. But he had also apologised for kissing her. Did he regret it? He had said she deserved better. She knew he was only trying to be a gentleman but did he really think she wanted to be on a pedestal, untouched? All she wanted was him.

On one hand, he regretted it but on the other, he had also called her beautiful. She would forever remember that moment-- The love of her life calling her beautiful after years of nothing.

She sighed, wishing she could banish the memory of Abir's earnest words, so forthright that they made her want to stomp her foot in frustration.

She took a deep breath, willing away the sudden tears that hovered just behind her eyes. She would not cry on what was to become, she hoped, the most exciting night of her life. Exciting not because of Abir...but because of her.

And a little because of Abir.

Fine. And a very little because of Abir. But mainly because of her.

She looked at the clock again and saw that it was barely five minutes later and she scowled.

Mishti : Damn it. This is endless.

Kuhu : Where are you going?

Mishti shrieked. Her little sister's face just appeared in front of her through the window.

Mishti opened the window and stared as Kuhu entered the room. She looked out to see a ladder propped below.

Mishti : Why didn't you just knock?

Kuhu : Where are you going tonight?

Mishti : I asked you first.

Kuhu : I asked you before that. I know you're going somewhere exciting. Where? Skinny dipping? Surfing? Duelling?

Mishti : Duelling? Where do you think we are? 18th century England? No, I'm not doing any of those things.

Kuhu's shoulders slumped.

Kuhu : Aww! Too bad.

Mishti : Kuhu! Why on Earth did you come by the ladder? Couldn't you have just knocked?

Kuhu : I did. Three times. But you never opened it. So I came up to see. Now, will you tell me where you are going?

Mishti : What makes you think I'm going somewhere?