Chapter 19

"When you forgive, you don't change the past. But you do change the future"
- Bernard Meltzer

CHAPTER 19

Mishti forced a smile as she greeted the addition to their party.

Mishti : Mr Khanna, How nice of you to ask us to accompany you today.

Jai Khanna gave her another of those weird beaming smiles, then turned to Kuhu and Kunal who nodded politely and greeted the man.

Jai : Ofcourse, Miss Singhania! I don't suppose you've been to a special showing of art before?

Mishti bit her lip, wondering how to answer. However, Kuhu who had overheard that last remark, chuckled.

Kuhu : Mishti is very into art, Mr Khanna. She spends days in art galleries and is invited to every showing here. Our father was just like her and Akshat has made sure that the invitations continue.

Jai : So, you actually come here to view the art?

Mishti looked at him confused.

Mishti : Ofcourse. Doesn't everyone?

Jai : You will notice many of the Elite today. People come only to get noticed at such special gatherings.

Mishti blinked so that she could stop rolling her eyes. This man was just like everyone in society. He clearly was a prancing peacock. Nevertheless, she smiled.

Kuhu : Excuse me, Mr Khanna. I have to talk to Mishti for a minute.

Before Mr Khanna could protest, Kuhu dragged Mishti towards a portrait of a famous scene in Mahabharat.

Mishti : What's wrong with you? Why did you drag me like that? It was really rude.

Kuhu : Don't tell me you want to spend time with that man.

Mishti : Ofcourse not. But I also don't want to be rude to someone who invited us to go with him.

Kuhu (sighing) : Fine! But we have to wait for Anya first.

Mishti stared at Kuhu startled.

Mishti : Anya Gupta?

Kuhu : Do you know any other Anya? Apparently her brother said that he would come with her today.

Mishti : Which brother?

Kuhu : Abir Rajvansh.

Mishti opened her mouth to speak, uncertain of what to say, only sure that she would have to leave before she ran into Abir. She couldn't see him. Couldn't be in the same room with him. It didn't matter that half of Rajkot would be there as well. Mishti began to feel panicked.

Jai : Here are the beautiful ladies. We've been searching for you, Misses Singhania.

Kunal smiled a bit sourly obviously not pleased Kuhu gave Jai a fake smile but Mishti grinned. This was her chance to escape Abir.

Jai : Miss Singhania! Would you like to see the early Greek paintings upstairs?

Mishti smiled and nodded.

Mishti : Ofcourse, Mr Khanna! Why don't we go there while Kuhu and Kunal come at their own pace?

Jai gave another of his weird smiles and Mishti sighed inwardly. This man would drive her nuts but anything would be better than to look at Abir Rajvansh today.

They walked upstairs in silence and Mishti had almost forgotten about the man next to her when he suddenly placed his palm on hers. She looked up startled.