Chapter 15

"Secrets are made to be found with time"

- Charles S. Sanford

CHAPTER 15

Abir (shocked) : Mishti?

Her name seemed to jolt her into action and she moved, still clutching her arm. The pain and the shock at being discovered made her quite angry and she scowled at him.

Abir : Did you just scowl at me?

Mishti : So what if I did? You spoiled everything.

Abir : I spoiled everything? What on Earth are you talking about?

Mishti : You are not supposed to be here.

The words escaped before she could stay them. Their gazes locked, and Abir shook his head at her, as though he could not quite believe what he was seeing.

Abir : I.... I am not supposed to be here? At a MEN's club where I am a member?

Mishti : That's just it. Why is this a men's club? Why can't there be fencing for women? This is so sexist. The man who began this club should be incarcerated.

Abir raised a hand as though to defend himself.

Abir : I didn't begin this club, So I'd appreciate not being lectured to, Thank you. In the meantime, This is a men's club and you as a woman shouldn't be here, even if it is unfair.

Mishti's anger deflated slightly as she heard the valid points that Abir made.

Abir : You shouldn't be here, Miss Singhania. If people were to see you, they would criticise you and change your reputation. Are you reckless, mad or just uncaring that you don't care how this will affect your family, should you be found?

Tears sprang to Mishti's eyes and she turned away, not willing to let him see her. She wished she were anywhere other than here, with him.

Abir : Oh damn! I didn't mean to make you cry. I'm sorry.

He went to the corner of the room and brought over a bottle of water that Mishti had remembered to bring. She took the bottle gratefully and drank it slowly, pushing the inevitable questions for a while longer. Finally, she kept the bottle down and looked at Abir, whose expression had softened by now.

Abir : Why did you come here?

Mishti shook her head.

Mishti : I don't know how to explain. You won't understand.

Abir : Just try.

Mishti : I... I've.. I've always been the obedient one, the quiet one. I'm going to be thirty in a few years time and... I don't want to be the same Mishti anymore. I want adventure and even though you discovered me now, This is easily one of the best days of my life. I'm just trying...

Abir (softly) : Trying to find the real you.

Mishti nodded, surprised by the understanding in Abir's voice. She notices he was smiling slightly and encouraged, her lips curved upwards as well.

Abir : So, the real Mishti is a rebel?

Mishti smiled a little wider now.

Mishti : Not a complete rebel, but yes. She is.

Abir moved closer. Involuntarily Mishti stepped back, wondering why the room suddenly became thirty degrees hotter. Abir opened his mouth, all the while moving forward.

Abir : What else is Mishti, I wonder?

Mishti gulped deeply as her back hit the wall. She knew that Abir realised that she had no ways of escaping now. She looked at his bewitching eyes which seemed to make her legs melt. She wondered how she always ended up trapped with him.