Chapter 12

"Love the giver more than the gift"
- Brigham Young

CHAPTER 12

Abir knocked on Anya's door and entered upon her answer.

Anya (surprised) : Abir!

Abir : Anya, I brought you something.

Anya : You did? For me?

Abir sat down on the sofa and handed out a gift-wrapped box to her. She took it silently, sat down and opened it. Her eyes widened when she saw the delicate diamond and ruby necklace inside the box.

Anya : This..

Abir : I got this for you.

Anya : But it must be terribly expensive. I can't accept this. It.. It wouldn't be right.

Arjun : Of course, it would be.

Abir and Anya swung around to see Arjun stand at the entrance, a smile on his lips.

Anya : But...

Abir : Whether we knew it or not, whether we understand it or not, we are siblings, Are we not?

Arjun : And as your brother, Abir and I can give you presents. As for you thinking it being too expensive, remember we have twenty years of birthday gifts that we owe you.

Abir nodded.

Abir : That's right. I thought this would be perfect for your entrance into the Elite.

Arjun : Not that these jewels can compare to your beauty, but they are exquisite.

Anya chuckled and smiled.

Anya : Thank you. They are lovely and I love them.

Abir nodded gently and walked out of the room. Arjun shook his head exasperated.

Arjun (thinking) : When will he learn that distance is not always the answer?

Anya : Did you tell him to buy this for me?

Arjun looked at his sister, an enigmatic smile on his lips.

Arjun : Abir bought these for you himself. He, He's just being Abir. Everyone thinks that he doesn't love anyone but himself. That he thinks about no one but himself. But that is not true. He loves me, He loved our father. Even you have managed to create a place for you in his heart. But... He chooses to hide it because he thinks he won't be hurt then.

Anya : Funny how our mother's sins have reaped on us, Isn't it?

Arjun : Our mother's sins are hers and hers alone. We may be influenced by the memories, but I refuse it to rule my heart and mind.

He came forward and placed a soft yet firm hand on Anya's cheek.

Arjun : Both you and Abir have to let go of her.

Before Anya could say anything, Arjun walked out to find Abir waiting for him in the staircase.

Arjun : Abir!

Abir : That woman doesn't control my heart.

Arjun : Perhaps not. But she does control your mind. You compare everyone to her. You compare everyone to our father. You ran from your sister's room as though you were afraid she would bite. You choose to keep your distance from Anya even though I know you will do anything to keep her safe and happy.

Abir scowled.

Abir : Who are you, My therapist?

Arjun chuckled.