Chapter 5

"Show me a gambler and I'll show you a loser"
- Mario Puzo

CHAPTER 5

Abir was sitting in his office, nursing a glass of wine when his brother entered through the door.

Arjun : Drinking in the office? Isn't that frowned upon?

Abir : Not when he is the owner and chairman of the company.

Arjun : Ah, The perks of being a business owner.

Abir : Why are you here? If it's to tell me that we have another sibling, I really am not ready to hear about it now.

Arjun : Don't worry. We remain a meager trio. What happened to you anyways? Feeling bad that you have to stay without a girlfriend? Missing Natasha?

Abir met his brother's eyes.

Abir : Without a girlfriend? I promised to be discrete and proper, Arjun. I never said I would change my ways.

Arjun : Fair enough. After all, your reputation shouldn't become obsolete, Should it?

Abir scowled. Though he had been somewhat reckless dating many girls, he really wasn't that bad as people made him out to be.

Arjun (sighing) : She looks so much like her.

Abir : If you mean Anya looks like our devil of a mother, then I just hope that she hasn't inherited her traits as well.

Arjun : She's terrified that she'll turn into that woman.

Abir got up, went to the minibar, handed a glass of scotch to his brother and filled his own with some more wine.

Abir : Her fear proves that she'll be nothing like that woman.

Arjun : Still, She fears marriage and life here.

Abir : We shall have to change her mind. Once we get her acceptance in the Elite, We shall convince her to stay here. She is our sister.

Arjun : Speaking of her acceptance, Miss Singhania was an excellent choice of role model.

Abir just nodded and raised his glass to his lips.

Arjun : How did you get her to accept the role?

Abir : Does it matter?

His twin raised an eyebrow and smirked.

Arjun (a teasing tilt to his voice) : Now that you've asked me, It's extremely relevant.

But Abir didn't offer any explanations and still smiling, Arjun left. Abir watched him leave and then cursing, he cleared his schedule for the afternoon and went to his favourite club, One favoured by all of the Elite.

Abir sat at the bar, waiting for his burger and he cursed his brother for being able to discern any matter concerning Abir.

Miss Mishti Singhania.

He had thought her a boon—a woman with an unparalleled reputation who had simply appeared. She was the perfect solution to the problem of preparing Anya—or so he had thought. But then he had kissed her.

And the kiss had been rather magnificent.

He scoffed at the thought. He had been frustrated and taken aback by the arrival of his sister. Any kiss would have been a welcome distraction.

Especially one so freely given by such an enthusiastic, enjoyable partner.

Abir's eyes lit with desire as he thought of Mishti in his arms again. He was lost in his own world dreaming about the kiss when one of the waiters set down his burger in front of him with a loud thud.