Chapter 33

Sorry for the delay. I am really sorry. It's been a tough 2 weeks and I was going through something. 

"The regret of my life is that I have not said 'I love you' often enough"
- Yoko Ono

CHAPTER 33

Rajvansh mansion was filled with anger and sadness, guilt and desperation as Abir sat at the piano, his hands moving fast. It had been three hours since Mishti had left him sitting stunned at Starbucks and yet, it seemed like it had happened minutes ago.

Mishti's face was etched into his brain. As he pounded on the keys, All he could see were the different expressions from that morning. He didn't know what it was he had been expecting, but never in a million years would he have thought the morning would go like that.

Mishti had rendered him speechless. First, Because of her request that he not interrupt her while she spoke and then, because of her large heart. She had found it in her to forgive him. She loved him so much even after he had wronged her so terribly.

He had been late. Even though he had left Rajvansh Mansion at 7 itself, He had ended up going to Starbucks fifteen minutes after nine. Abir had cursed his carelessness and was striding towards the entrance when he had spotted her.

Sitting alone in a corner table, her small hands worrying a paper napkin and looking at the other customers in the cafe. He saw her forlorn expression and realised that she was counting the couples enjoying the early morning outing. His heart ached as he realised if he had not bungled things up so badly, Mishti and he could have been here today happy too.

He didn't know how long he had been waiting but when he saw Mishti look at him, he realised that he should go in. He hesitated though. This meeting was something that he really wanted. But he knew the outcome wouldn't be in his favour. Did he really want to go inside and know that this might be the last time he ever saw her? But he also wanted to go and apologise to her. He wanted to fall at her feet and beg for forgiveness until she finally did so.

Abir had entered the cafe finally, after instilling some hope in himself saying that it was Mishti who had asked for this meeting and she hadn't sounded angry. She had been calm. Maybe she would give him a chance to explain himself. Taking a deep breath, He had entered the cafe and walked up to her. He noticed her red-rimmed eyes and knew she hadn't slept a wink either.

Another surge of guilt tore through him as she nodded and murmured a calm Good Morning. He didn't know what to say and finally said her name. However, Mishti hadn't let him finish his sentence, whatever it may have been.

Mishti : I have lots to tell you and I have no idea how I'm going to get through it. So, I need you to let me complete it, Please. Once I tell you everything, you can ask what you want. Please?

Abir didn't know what to think. He was once again apprehensive about this meeting. He wanted her to remain quiet and let him make his apology. He wanted to kiss her senseless until the horrible memory of yesterday was long forgotten. But most of all, He wanted her to smile. Mishti had shown many emotions in front of him-- Anger, happiness, sadness, resignation, wistfulness and even worry. But she had never looked forlorn before.

He had looked at her slowly and saw that she was doing the same. It had looked like they were trying to see what had changed between them. Distance, certainly. But they weren't comfortable with each other as well right now. It had been enough to make him want to pull his hair.

He hadn't been able to stand the silence and so he had called her again. She had started talking and Abir had smiled when she said that she was a disaster at cooking. It wouldn't have mattered. He could cook for them both. He would have loved cooking for her. He wanted to know what dishes she liked. Whether she would love his signature dish butterscotch choco lava cake with just a touch of espresso. He wanted to know if she would have gasped with wonder or delight as she tasted the dessert. He would love to teach her how to cook. They would have had flour fights, messy counterboards and so much of fun as they cooked. He had held a hand out to hold hers, but at the last minute, the smile on his face wore off. Was it his place to do that anymore?