Chapter 23

"It is not the pain, It is who it came from"

- Drishti Bablani

CHAPTER 23

Mishti watched Kuhu and Jasmeet aunty go out of the room from her position between the shelves. Crap! Abir was alone in the room with her now. How she wished her mother was here. Or her brother. Abir Rajvansh could then go talk to them and leave her alone.

But no, They were out and she could count on no help from Kuhu or Jasmeet aunty, Blast them. Well, no matter. Abir could stand in the room all he wanted. She would just continue to arrange the books and ignore him. That would serve him right.

Abir : How are you today, Mishti?

Mishti snorted and turned to the next shelf trying to sort the books starting with B. She was determined to ignore him, but when she removed the next book, her eyes found Abir's who was standing to the other side of the shelf.

Mishti : I am not seeing guests right now.

Abir : That's too bad since you're seeing me right now.

Mishti : I am very busy.

Abir nodded, looking at the books on the floor.

Abir : I can see that.

Mishti : Therefore, I am not seeing guests right now.

Good God, Would he take the hint this time at least and leave?

Abir : I am here, anyways.

Apparently he did not get the point. Or, he did and he chose to ignore it. Likely, the latter, Mishti surmised.

Mishti : What is it you want, Mr Rajvansh?

Abir: Last night, it was Abir. Today it is Mr Rajvansh?

Mishti glared at him.

Mishti: I asked what do you want?

Abir : I think we need to continue our conversation from last night.

Mishti said nothing, but bent down to pick up few books and sort through them. She remained silent as Abir walked towards her aisle and stopped when he was, but, a few feet away from her.

He watched her, unmoving, as though considering his next words carefully. She waited, slowly placing the books on their shelf, willing him not to say anything. Hoping he'd simply give up and leave.

Abir : Mishti, I am really sorry for last night.

His words were quiet in their sincerity but the words made her flinch. He regretted yesterday. She closed her eyes, willing the tears not to come.

Abir : I am willing to do the right thing. Please....

Mishti : No!

Abir (surprised) : Excuse me?

Mishti : You don't need to apologise, Mr Rajvansh. And there is no right thing to do. There's no need for anything.

Abir : You're not serious.

Abir's incredulous tone made Mishti's shoulders stiffen and she glared at him.

Mishti : Ofcourse I am.

Abir ran his hands over his hair as if he did not know what to do with them.

Abir : We will marry, Mishti. I want to do the right thing and you have to let me.

Mishti walked over to the next shelf. Abir couldn't have sounded more high handed if he tried. But his patience was wearing out.

Mishti : What is this right thing you keep talking about? We are not in the early 1900s. You didn't do anything wrong. You have no reason to marry me. So thank you for your offer, but it is not accepted.