Chapter 26

"I only want two things in this world. 

I want you and I want us."
- Pinterest

CHAPTER 26

Mishti and Kuhu stood near the staircase of the Deora Residence, watching the guests arrive and being greeted by the Elite number 11 family, the Deoras. Today's occasion was to commemorate Mr Deora's 50th birthday and the prominent people of the society were invited such as the Elite families, the under Elite families and other celebrities.

Today was also the day that Anya Bella Gupta was going to be officially introduced to the Elite. She was going to be the guest of honour at the Deoras. Mr Deora who was a very friendly man had graciously consented to Mishti's request and had offered to support Anya as well. While everyone in the Elite society knew about Anya, today would be the day where she would be acknowledged and granted a position in society.

It was an important day and Mishti wanted to make sure nothing went wrong today, for Anya's sake. If only she would get here soon.

Mishti : Stupid man. Is he planning a grand gesture? He's almost an hour late. How unforgivably rude of him? Does he have no concern for Anya?

Kuhu : Don't worry. She'll be here soon. I don't know Mr Rajvansh nearly as well as you do, but I know enough of him to be certain that he would not miss this evening. And when he sees you in this dress, he will be very happy that he did not miss it.

Mishti rolled her eyes but gave a sigh. She looked down at her lehenga which looked different in dim light. The dori on the back of her blouse which was criss-crossed with the blouse string kept jingling as she moved. Kuhu had insisted upon dressing Mishti for the night and Mishti had to concede that she had done a brilliant job. Donning a front puff with loose curls, Mishti's face was further brightened as she wore a small maang tikka and large jhumkas. She wore no other accesories other than a small bindi. When Mishti had looked at herself in the mirror that night, She couldn't believe it.

She actually looked beautiful and moreover, She felt beautiful.

Kuhu and this dress had transformed her.

Kuhu : They're here.

Mishti's reverie was cut short by Kuhu's voice, and her gaze flew to the top of the staircase. There were masses of people crowded along the edges of the stairway and on the platform above, but it was impossible to miss the trio that had just arrived.

Anya stood in the middle of her brothers wearing a pale pink lehenga, her dupatta in the form of a saree. She wore a small bindi as well and had worn a simple diamond necklace and matching earrings. Her middle parted straight her made her look more distinguished and innocent. Her brothers were flanking her on each side.

They were twin portraits of determination, each surveying the crowd below as though preparing to do battle. The corner of Mishti's mouth twitched in amusement. The Elite society might be witnessing the closest thing to battle tonight.

Mishti's gaze settled on Abir as her heart pounded in her chest, noting the firm set of his jaw and the cool determination in his eyes—so intense that she could see them from where she stood, halfway across the room. And then he was looking at her. She warmed as his gaze lingered, taking in her in.

Kuhu : For God's sake, Don't show everyone that you're infatuated with the man.

Mishti's eyes widened and she turned towards her sister horrified.

Mishti : I am doing no such thing.

Kuhu : Of course you aren't. And I'm just the Queen of Sheba. Uh Oh! Here it begins.